Poll: Which Linux distro should we support next?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
openSUSE
10.84%
Fedora
16.26%
Debian
3.52%
Mint
19.24%
Gentoo
12.47%
Arch
35.50%
Mandriva
0%
Other (reply to post which)
0.27%
Ubuntu is enough, thank you
1.90%
Total
369 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

• 3(current)
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?
Maybe this will save you some time, it's specific to Gentoo though:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/XBMC
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Please read and follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, please make sure you read this first.

ok thanks for the info. off to bed now...will be a good project for the weekend.. Smile

mitchell
If you get it compiling on your platform, please feel free to contribute instructions to our wiki or even a link to the binaries.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
mitchell2345 Wrote:ok thanks for the info. off to bed now...will be a good project for the weekend.. Smile

mitchell

I use slackware and compile XBMC from source.
Initially, some dependencies were missing but they were not too many. So, it shouldn't be too difficult in your case either.
gentoo works kinda out of the box... just emerge deps first
svn up
./configure
make

even on a 64 bit install
Lightbulb 
I like this idea:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34697
Quote:OpenSuse announced its Build Service today:
http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service

With the BS you're are able to build software packages for different Linux distributions.

I think XBMC should try to get into the BuildService, so everybody is able to get XBMC on Linux.

Quote:Build your software for multiple Linux distributions.

Currently, the list of supported distributions is:

* SUSE
o openSUSE 11.0
o openSUSE 10.3
o openSUSE 10.2
o SUSE Linux 10.1
o SUSE Linux Enterprise 10
o SUSE Linux Enterprise 9
o openSUSE Factory

* Debian
o Debian Etch

* Red Hat
o Fedora 9
o Fedora 8
o Fedora 7
o Fedora 6 + Extras
o Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
o Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
o CentOS 5

* Mandriva Linux
o Mandriva 2008
o Mandriva 2007
o Mandriva 2006

* Ubuntu (Includes Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.)
o Ubuntu 8.04
o Ubuntu 7.10
o Ubuntu 7.04
o Ubuntu 6.06
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Other (Arch Linux)
Gamester17 Wrote:I like this idea:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34697

+1!
I voted for Fedora. The reason is that I hope that we some day soon have a better integration betwin MythTV as a TV backend and XBMC as a frontend. If so it seams that many MythTV users use Fedora (look for example at MythDora project) and it would be sweet to have them booth on the same machine.

Oh, there is another reason - even thou I now use Kubuntu Fedora was my first distro and its always nice to come back some time :;
thazzy Wrote:+1!

+2
stokedfish Wrote:+2

+3

All distro's sounds like a good idea to me
mitchell2345 Wrote:+3

All distro's sounds like a good idea to me

Of course it would be awesome if all of the developers could install 22 versions of Linux on their home computers and work out the kinks in each one, it's just not feasible. So, as the title says, pick one. We have to work our way through one at a time. Eventually we'll have them all, but not in 6 months time. So may I suggest you choose the distro you use and not raise your hand for all of them. It's really not helpful unless you're volunteering to develop/package/support them all.
I voted Fedora

I've already compiled valid Fedora 8/9 CentOS 5 (both 32 & 64) bit RPMs. Takes me about an hour(total) to compile on those 3 distros (both 32 & 64). Build farms are fun Smile

It's actually very very easy to compile for the RedHat based stuff. The SuSE build service is great and all but... I don't know if they would allow it with the codecs included, they are very picky about licensing stuff... but as mentioned previously I'll save that for another thread.
MGOB Wrote:I voted Fedora

I've already compiled valid Fedora 8/9 CentOS 5 (both 32 & 64) bit RPMs. Takes me about an hour(total) to compile on those 3 distros (both 32 & 64). Build farms are fun Smile

It's actually very very easy to compile for the RedHat based stuff. The SuSE build service is great and all but... I don't know if they would allow it with the codecs included, they are very picky about licensing stuff... but as mentioned previously I'll save that for another thread.

That's great! We'd love to have you contribute directions for compiling from source to our wiki. Also, if you have the RPMs hosted anywhere could we link to them from our download page?
malloc Wrote:That's great! We'd love to have you contribute directions for compiling from source to our wiki. Also, if you have the RPMs hosted anywhere could we link to them from our download page?

My RPMs and basic compiling instructions are located @ http://fedorajunkies.com/index.php/XBMC

The src.rpms are there too so they can be recompiled by anyone as development moves forward. There are a few patches I've also created for Fedora/CentOS included. They are from 9-20 SVN I believe so they are a bit "old" at the moment, I'm going to submit the latest SVN to my build farm tomorrow to bring them up to speed however those ones do work as there are quite a few people using them.

The SRC rpms include the .svn files, they will be removed on the next build (tomorrow), because of that the source RPMs listed are 200+MB.

You can either copy my notes from my wiki or instruct me where in your wiki you'd like them Smile

I am assuming you would like it in some fashion as http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_compi...ource_code , however I'd like specific instructions from you before I go mucking around someone else's good documentation.

(Great piece of software by the way)

Edit: Yes feel free to link away, I don't pay for bandwidth Wink

-S
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Linux distro should XBMC officially support next?1