• 5(current)
v19 D3D11 and DXVA updates - Beta test builds (merged)
I think you are confusing some term.

There are two completely different things:

1) Render method: can be AUTO, DXVA, PIXEL SHADERS, SOFTWARE

AUTO defaults to DXVA (so setting AUTO is same as DXVA)

2) DXVA2 This is HW HEVC decoding (if is disabled work of video decoding is not doing by graphics card is done by ffmpeg - software)

When DXVA2 is enabled image quality output and too bright - too dark depends entirely on settings in graphics card control panel "video driver settings" (settings that may be wrong of course).

Thanks also for trying but it is no longer necessary since another user has already confirmed that it works well on Ryzen 2200G (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2965157)

In addition, the latest changes can only affect stuttering, not image quality. This is not possible.
(2020-07-24, 14:04)jogal Wrote: I think you are confusing some term.

2) DXVA2 This is HW HEVC decoding (if is disabled work of video decoding is not doing by graphics card is done by ffmpeg - software)

When DXVA2 is enabled image quality output and too bright - too dark depends entirely on settings in graphics card control panel "driver" (settings that may be wrong of course).

Thanks also for trying but it is no longer necessary since another user has already confirmed that it works well on Ryzen 2200G (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2965157)

In addition, the latest changes can only affect stuttering, not image quality. This is not possible.

OK.

The "too bright" image has nothing to do with this DX11 test build, I know that - you might have misunderstood me here.
And my findings are conclusive with the other users that the DX11 enhancements don't brake anything.

When "auto" is DXVA then nothing has changed in the current nightlies in regard to rendering.

However your explanation means that there is an issue with HEVC decoding via DXVA2 and the current nightlies - the GPU settings are unchanged and your build from may 9th works perfectly when I select DXVA2, the current nightlies don't - so I there is no reason to assume a wrong GPU setting - there must have been a change of some sort in regard to DXVA2 over the past 2 months
(2020-07-24, 14:26)ichkriegediekri Wrote:

When DXVA2 is enabled image quality output and too bright - too dark depends entirely on settings in graphics card control panel "driver" (settings that may be wrong of course).

OK.

The "too bright" image has nothing to do with this DX11 test build, I know that - you might have misunderstood me here.
And my findings are conclusive with the other users that the DX11 enhancements don't brake anything.

When "auto" is DXVA then nothing has changed in the current nightlies in regard to rendering.

However your explanation means that there is an issue with HEVC decoding via DXVA2 and the current nightlies - the GPU settings are unchanged and your build from may 9th works perfectly when I select DXVA2, the current nightlies don't - so I there is no reason to assume a wrong GPU setting - there must have been a change of some sort in regard to DXVA2 over the past 2 months

The only DXVA change has been merger of the HDR work.

How did you go about installing the test build being provided here? was it a completely fresh install with no config from any other previous build?
(2020-07-24, 14:34)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-07-24, 14:26)ichkriegediekri Wrote:

OK.

How did you go about installing the test build being provided here? was it a completely fresh install with no config from any other previous build?
I did test both versions (DX11 build and the old may 9th for reference) in a separate and new folder as a portable version - the only addon I did install was embycon to accces my library and DVBViewer to test if PVR still works.
(2020-07-24, 14:42)ichkriegediekri Wrote:
(2020-07-24, 14:34)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2020-07-24, 14:26)ichkriegediekri Wrote: OK.

I did test both versions (DX11 build and the old may 9th for reference) in a separate and new folder as a portable version - the only addon I did install was embycon to accces my library and DVBViewer to test if PVR still works.

Ok, I just was wondering if perhaps you hadn't started from scratch whether there might have been something to do with tone mapping that got carried over to cause an issue now there's built HDR, but as you have done a clean build in portable mode it won't be anything like that. I'll leave you in jogal's capable hands then.
I can't really help much with Ryzen. There are too few users to be able to draw clear conclusions. It will be seen later if there is any issue still to be resolved in Ryzen.

With Nvidia it is different because when making a change if 10 users confirm that it works OK and 1 does not, you can guess that this user probably has another unrelated problem.

At the moment I will only insist on using the recommended video settings:

RGB 8-bit full range - no YCbCr - no force 10 bit or 12 bit - no limited range if there is no good reason (default video settings in driver are the best ones)
In case of problems make clean installation of video drivers. That is almost more important than clean Kodi settings.

Update Windows 10 to 2004 build if is possible.
Update video drivers to latest.

DXVA2 is entirely based on and dependent on the graphics card's video drivers and their settings.
(2020-07-24, 14:26)ichkriegediekri Wrote: there must have been a change of some sort in regard to DXVA2 over the past 2 months

Assuming the info in the thread is correct and DXVA2 is indeed software decoding of HEVC via ffmpeg then there have been two PR's since may that affected ffmpeg, https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18071 and https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18166 .  The first one is the more likely of the two.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
He said it was ok with DXVA2 disabled, this means it's ok with ffmpeg decoding. The render method is taking the decoded frames and making them available for presentation by the display, and it is this that is Auto and thus likely DXVA.
Likewise testing this build with DXVA2 disabled does not make sense when the main changes are in DXVA2.

Then he said that it behaves the same as with recent nightlies that already have the HDR code (it seems logical).

Maybe Ryzen has HDR issues with DXVA2 (but already had them with previous builds) and those issues if they are present or not depends on driver video settings used (as all issues related to DXVA2).
(2020-07-24, 18:18)jogal Wrote: Likewise testing this build with DXVA2 disabled does not make sense when the main changes are in DXVA2.

Then he said that it behaves the same as with recent nightlies that already have the HDR code (it seems logical).

Oops, yeah that makes perfect sense [emoji1787] - crap...

In regard to:
"Maybe Ryzen has HDR issues with DXVA2 (but already had them with previous builds) and those issues if they are present or not depends on driver video settings used (as all issues related to DXVA2)."

The GPU driver and settings are identical / unchanged - Your version from may 9th works fine with DXVA2 and the new nightlies don't work with DXVA2 - so how can that be a driver issue/setting if all that has changed is the Kodi build/version? - Please don't get me wrong, I am not pointing fingers here (I can live with HDR via ffmpeg) , I am just trying to help to get things as good as possible so that as many people as possible can have a great time with the final version.
"Historically" all HDR passthrough washed out issues have been from using YCbCr/limited instead of RGB - full

(2020-02-11, 19:10)ichkriegediekri Wrote: HDR does not work for me with:

GPU RGB full - Kodi limited - TV RGB limited - this is the recommended setup for Kodi on the Kodi wiki page.
For me this introduces extremely washed out colors in HDR mode

GPU ycbcr - Kodi limited - TV limited - HDR not working, washed out colors.

GPU RGB limites - Kodi limited - TV RGB limited - not tested yet

My hardware:
AMD Ryzen 2200g APU, Denon x6200 AVR, Panasonic OLED 2018
(2020-07-24, 18:34)ichkriegediekri Wrote: The GPU driver and settings are identical / unchanged

Yes but ......... what are they?    RGB or YCbCr  - full or limited .................
(2020-07-24, 18:44)jogal Wrote:
(2020-07-24, 18:34)ichkriegediekri Wrote: The GPU driver and settings are identical / unchanged

Yes but ......... what are they?    RGB or YCbCr  - full or limited .................
Currently it is ycbcr 422 as this is the only signal that my TV accepts when my HTPC resumes from S3. Whenever I set RGB I get a black screen 3 out of 4 resumes - I changed to high-end cables and even the Mainboard. On top I am using a Dr hdmi 4k but this behavior stayed the same.

I will set rgb tonight or tomorrow and look if that changes it, however I doubt it
Quote:I get a black screen 3 out of 4 resumes

For HDMI handshake issues I recommend you:
  • Update BIOS.
  • Update Windows 10 to 2004 build.
  • Turn on TV/AVR first, HTPC last
  • Update TV firmware / AVR firmware
  • Disable Windows 10 "Fast Startup" mode
  • Live without S3-S4 / Hibernate states (only full OFF and full ON).
(2020-07-24, 19:12)jogal Wrote:
Quote:I get a black screen 3 out of 4 resumes

For HDMI handshake issues I recommend you:
  • Update BIOS.
  • Update Windows 10 to 2004 build.
  • Turn on TV/AVR first, HTPC last
  • Update TV firmware / AVR firmware
  • Disable Windows 10 "Fast Startup" mode
  • Live without S3-S4 / Hibernate states (only full OFF and full ON).

1 - already done
2 - not available yet
3 - can't do that since I use Control4 - that's why I use a DrHDMI4k, thus is like " always on" for HTPC and AVR, works like a charm
4 - already done
5 - already done
6 - if setting the chain to RGB solves the DXVA2 issue I will do that, otherwise I don't see a point so far
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
D3D11 and DXVA updates - Beta test builds (merged)0