Win Can I watch 4K HDR movies on Oculus Rift S?
So  I've played around with my Oculus Rift S and watched a couple of blu-ray movies that looked visually good. Then I tried the Waterfall scene in Black Panther in 4K where he officially becomes king. That scene has so many colors that works great to show off a 4K tv. On the Rift S the colors were super saturated and was wondering has anyone been able to get a 4k movie to play on their Rift S, What did you do? I'm using Kodi through Bigscreen beta just to get the feel of being in a movie theater. If it works better in Virtual Desktop I'll try that out. Of course nothing beats watching on my tv which works fine, I'm just messing around with my Rift S because I heard I could watch movies with it.
Couldn't find any video specs for Oculus Rift S, but assume it is a 2k display for 8 bit sRGB color space and 2.2 gamma.  So for a 4k HDR10 video, it needs to be scaled and color space / OETF converted which requires tone mapping.  Haven't looked at Kodi 18 in a long time but in 19 alpha use pixel shader as the render method and that allows Reinhart tone mapping which I don't think is great but you can adjust it some in the OSD menu.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I watch 4K HDR movies on Oculus Rift S?0