Unable to pause when playing back M3U8 file
When playing back a .M3U8 (HLS) file that is added to in the background, Kodi does not respond to the pause command. Kodi (ffmpeg) just carry on playing.

Is there a way to pause playback in this scenario? Is this a bug?

I've tried with Kodi 18.8 on Ubuntu and Kodi 18.7 on OSMC / Raspberry PI
That's not a bug. If a video is moved to the background, the current windows isn't "FullScreenVideo" anymore and therefore the controls for videoplayback on the keyboard or on the remote don't work. 

What you could do is to find an unused button and map that to PlayerControl(play) and use that. "PlayerControl(<action>)" is an built in function which will work regardless of the currently active window. 

Another way could be to create your own keyboard.xml and/or remote.xml file at your usedata folder and map actions to other windows. But be careful, that this doesn't have any side-effect on other controls for that window.
Thanks DaVu for the reply. I realise I could have been clearer as its not related to the video moving into the background but the HLS playlist file being updated in the background...

If I start playback of an Event Playlist which doesn't initially have an EXT-X-ENDLIST tag at the end then Kodi does not respond to spacebar on keyboard being pressed (or pause button on web controller) to pause the video. In fact, using the Aura skin it doesn't even show the Pause icon on the OSD.

If I start playback of an Event Playlist which has the EXT-X-ENDLIST tag at the end then pause does work (and it seeks as well).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to pause when playing back M3U8 file0