tinyMediaManager v4 and future plans
Hi ..

>> to provide a runable _full version_ of tmm without the need of a license - that is priacy

If "SOMEBODY" include your closed sorce license-manager .... yes ... but only for THAT part ...
the rest is under Apache 2.0 License

... each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form ...

So no Piracy als long as the licensing Code isn't used ... and who want to do that ...
You dont see the point ... BREAKING and CRACKING your licensing scheme is piracy .... removing it from the open source code and redistributing it even as compiled running one is covered by Apache License !

Beside ... the whole Licensing closed-source thing is dangerously on the border of Apache License .... the code parts that belong to the scrapper are derived from code under Apache Licendse and are ... if we see the license strictly ... not alowed to be closed source ...

And even ... does Apache License allow a mix with closed-source components ?

>>you do not fully understand the difference between Open Source and Freeware

I do ... you too Huh
Freeware ... simple explaind ... means you are free to use it under the Terms of the License ... but it can be closed-source .... and it dont imply that you are allowed to modify ...
opensource .... only mean the sorce-code is open and is observable .... not more ore less ...

BUT ... TMM is licensed under Apache License 2.0 ...... and that are the rules .... not meaningless trems as freeware or opensource .....
It allows everybody ... or SOMEBODY Wink a broad spectrum of things he can do with it ... even sell it .... its no piracy he's totally allowd to do that .... as same as you ....

So ... you are completly allowed to do what you do ..... thats why i wrote : "I personally wouldn't call this open source ..." ....

And yes ... you are doomed .... once you published a Project under a License like Apache .... "irrevocable copyright license to ...." ... you can't take it back .... as long as you dont start TMM completly from SCRATCH .... it ... and all derived code are bound to it's rules ....

And to take it to the extreme ....
SOMEBODY coulde even do the same thing as you ....
- take the sources from git
- write a licensing module
- eventually ... build an updating mechanism and a launcher
- register at paddle and sell it for ... lets say 2 Euro less than you ...

It  woulde be completly covered by Apache License ... no piracy ... no copyright infringement ....
 ... your income rely on the lazyness of people ...

So how can you sell things that are "free" (... in the terms of Apache license) ...
Service, Support, additional Pro features ...
Not by crippeling the main functionality .... that may motivate people to overcome their lazyness ...

>>it would be rather easy to fork our work (open source), remove the license module (if we would not have integrated this deeply)
If i can do it in a handful hours ... maybe some more ... i'm rarely use java and lacking of java-experience .... so after some trial and a lot of errors ...
How long woulde an experienced java-programmer need to do it ?

Don't fear real crackers ... there is no challange ... and no fame and honor to gain ... in "cracking" ... or better changing "freely" aviable source code ..... Wink
And even for "compiled" closed-source java ... count it to source freely aviable ... java isn't made with security and confidential in mind ...
... most java protection schemes are on obscurification and script-kiddy level .... (NUL,nul,Nul,nUl,...., refactoring to one letter functions,....) ... similaities to your licensing.jar are completly accidental .... Wink

So ... dont missunderstand me ... i'm no enemy, i don't think its wrong to ask for money ....
But the path you're started to went .... isn't the right one ... in my opinion ....

Im happyly pay for additional comfort and features .... but not for remove added crippling ... that render the software whitout to unsuable ....

Aceptable limitations:
scrapper que -> maybe slow it down in unlicensed version
no use of universal-scrapper
no use of image cache
no individual selection of coverart ... only automatic scrapping ... maybe

They are some kind of crippling too .... but they are only anoying and don't stop somebody to use tmm ...

so lazyness is the motivation to pay and lazyness is holding people off from building their onwn tmm

And thanks for your reply ... i was neraly shure you ignore my post ....

PS: Und  ... tschuldigung für mein unbeholfenes Englisch ... mein Deutsch ist (etwas) besser shließlich sind wir ja aus dem selben Land ...

LG
Robert

Messages In This Thread
RE: tinyMediaManager v4 and future plans - by fdummy71 - 2020-10-22, 11:57
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tinyMediaManager v4 and future plans0