Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-04, 09:25)fritsch Wrote: I am more concerned now about your HDR 8 vs. 10 bit results. Did they at least do Tone-Mapping? Or let me state it that way: What do you mean by HDR works, but only 8 bit? <- technically that makes limited sense without further explanation.

My guess is that it is like other platforms that output 8-bit HDR (like Intel Gemini Lake HDR?) - it's an 8-bit HDMI output video signal in RGB or YCbCr in Rec 2020 gamut and with a PQ EOTF flagged, so no tone mapping required. That's a perfectly valid output format and will look 'OK', triggering TVs into HDR10 mode, but the end result will potentially have a lot more banding in some areas (as the two LSBs in the 10 bit video being replayed are truncated) though it could be dithering to mask this?

I've ordered one - when it arrives I'll run it through my HDFury Vertex to get as much information as I can.

@fritsch - although people are reporting PCM output in 2.0 only, you mention 5.1/7.1 PCM should be possible?

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by noggin - 2020-10-04, 13:53
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0