Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2020-10-20, 10:38)b4cksl4sh Wrote: No automatic refresh rate = no buy. Seems Google can't do anything right these days.

I'm not sure anyone offers fully automatic refresh rate on Android TV apps - though Kodi's implementation works on some Android platforms.  The nearest you get at the moment is the 'push a button when playing a video to set the right refresh rate' option on the Shield TV.

Some earlier Android builds (not sure about Android TV) on some platforms attempted it - but I think DRM licensing makes it tricky. (To detect the frame rate of 'playing video' you need the OS to be able to access the playing video in its un-decrypted form I think - which is a no-no for DRM enforcement, which wants it piped directly to output without passing through a process that lets the OS or apps intercept it)

The next-best solution is a solution that is app controlled - so the app knows, from metadata alongside the DRM-ed video, what the refresh rate of the video being played is, and then the app changes the refresh rate (from a list of supported refresh rates provided by the OS) to the best option.  This is how the Apple TV works (many tvOS apps - including Prime and Netflix support this), how the Amazon Fire TV devices work (Prime supports it but last time I checked Netflix didn't), and how Kodi works on some Android TV platforms like the Shield TV I believe.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by noggin - 2020-10-20, 12:01
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0