Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2021-07-16, 09:32)looun Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 17:59)noggin Wrote:
(2021-07-15, 14:40)looun Wrote: NO , it's not "New" Refresh Rate Switching.

https://android-developers.googleblog.co...s-now.html
It's old  API level 23 Display.Mode (Android 6.0) , but now :

supposed is reference to HDMI 2.1 - Quick Media Switching (QMS) .

Like before must be implementing by vOD provider.

So given the indifference Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc. had to implementing this prior to Android TV 12, do we think this gives them any reason to implement it now?  It's so depressing...

i had read about on reddit  a google survey about "auto frequency switching" , lot of people don't like "black screen" so google doesn't have developed this function.
So maybe now with "non-seamless" (no black screen ) , google have update API Display.Mode for auto frequency switching.... we hope .
I don't think any of us expect 'Auto' frequency switching - that would be REALLY annoying on TVs with black-screen on frequency switches (that's why Roku disabled their auto frequency switching on Netflix - because 24/25fps switching on autoplay trailers got annoying very quickly). I can see why Google wouldn't implement that at the OS level (just as Apple and Amazon haven't).

I think app-controlled switching - as on the Apple TV - is still the best route (and it's easier to implement with DRM as you don't need any access to the now-playing video stream to detect refresh rate - it's separate metadata that the app passes to the OS). 

The important thing is to get app developers to do it - as they have on tvOS apps on the Apple TV.

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by noggin - 2021-07-16, 12:42
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0