Solved TMM 4.0.x .desktop file does nothing
Hi there

I've been a happy user of TMM for a long time, and have gladly just bought the license.

However, there's a strange glitch with the latest version(s) (I've experienced this on both 4.0..3 and 4.04 nightly). I use a Ubuntu-based distro called Feren OS and normally on first run I double-click on the .sh file, and a .desktop one gets created. I subsequently am able to double-click on the .desktop file to run TMM, including saving it in my dock for easy access.

However, in 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 this doesn't happen. A .desktop file is created but when I double-click on it, nothing happens. Maybe it's something to do with Java already being installed on Feren OS by default? It's build 11.0.8+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.

Hope this helps in some way and that it can be cleared up so we can once again have a working .desktop file?

Kind regards,

Discy
Further to this, I've now tried to get TMM working in Ubuntu Budgie. Again, the desktop file doesn't appear to do anything.

If I open a terminal in the TMM directory and do a ./tinyMediaManager.desktop I get the following errors:

./tinyMediaManager.desktop: 1: [Desktop: not found
/home/john/Downloads/tmm_4.0.3_linux/tinyMediaManager: /home/john/Downloads/tmm_4.0.3_linux/tinyMediaManager: cannot execute binary file
./tinyMediaManager.desktop: 7: Video: not found
./tinyMediaManager.desktop: 7: Database: not found
./tinyMediaManager.desktop: 7: Java: not found

Hope this is of use to someone! I love this app and use it every day - really hope it can be sorted so I can have it easily to hand as usual.

Kind regards,

Discy
in v4 the .desktop file is generated into ~/.local/share/applications/tinyMediaManager2.desktop (where I just saw that the 2 is a typo)..

did you look at the _old_ .desktop entry in the tmm folder?
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
(2020-10-06, 19:55)mlaggner Wrote: in v4 the .desktop file is generated into ~/.local/share/applications/tinyMediaManager2.desktop (where I just saw that the 2 is a typo)..

did you look at the _old_ .desktop entry in the tmm folder?

When you say the _old_ .desktop entry, do you mean did I look at the entry as it was created in v3.x or are you saying I've been double-clicking on the .desktop file in the v4 folder when I should have been going to ~/.local/share/applications? 

In any case, there's no .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications....

Kind regards,

Discy
I've enhanced the creation of the .desktop file for 4.0.4 (there was a small error in the created file where the .desktop file did not work on several systems as Ubuntu).. and you may missed the action under the "Tools" menu, where you can re-create the .desktop entries
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
(2020-10-07, 07:02)mlaggner Wrote: I've enhanced the creation of the .desktop file for 4.0.4 (there was a small error in the created file where the .desktop file did not work on several systems as Ubuntu).. and you may missed the action under the "Tools" menu, where you can re-create the .desktop entries

Hi there. So I'm working with a clean install of 4.0.4. When I double-click on the Tiny Media Manager program in the extracted folder, a .desktop file is created in the same folder. Subsequently double-clicking on it does nothing - and when I tried to run it from terminal I got the error messages that I posted earlier in this thread.

From within the working program, if I go to Tools->Create Desktop Entry, it does create another .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applcations. But double-clicking on this file does nothing. If I go into terminal and try to run it from there, I get basically the same error:

./tinyMediaManager2.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
/home/john/TMM4/tinyMediaManager: /home/john/TMM4/tinyMediaManager: cannot execute binary file
./tinyMediaManager2.desktop: line 7: Video: command not found
./tinyMediaManager2.desktop: line 7: Database: command not found
./tinyMediaManager2.desktop: line 7: Java: command not found

I have nano'ed the .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications and it reads:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=tinyMediaManager
Path=/home/john/TMM4
Exec=/usr/bin/env bash "/home/john/TMM4/tinyMediaManager"
Icon=/home/john/TMM4/tmm.png
Categories=AudioVideo;Video;Database;Java;
running a .desktop via terminal will never work Wink

just change the line 

Code:

to 

Code:
Exec=/bin/sh -c "/home/john/TMM4/tinyMediaManager"

and it should work.. this fix is in v4.0.4
(2020-10-07, 11:22)mlaggner Wrote: running a .desktop via terminal will never work Wink

just change the line 

Code:

to 

Code:
Exec=/bin/sh -c "/home/john/TMM4/tinyMediaManager"

and it should work.. this fix is in v4.0.4

Sorry, didn't know about the .desktop file. I'm a relative newcomer to Linux - just wanted to give you as much info as possible.

I've changed that line and it works. Thanks so much for your help and best wishes for the continued development of an app I use every day!

Kind regards,

DIscy

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TMM 4.0.x .desktop file does nothing0