Linux Running kodi as a regular user
Hi!

I'm building a custom Linux distribution around Kodi, kinda like libreelec.
I start Kodi as a regular user and I noticed that some options are missing from the System Settings, mainly the network connections.
I'm assuming that this is due to the fact that Kodi is started by a regular user, and not root.

I really want to avoid running Kodi as root for security reasons, but since Kodi is the only GUI application in my distro, it is important to me to enable the user to connect to a wireless network from Kodi.

So my question is - is there any way to enable non-root Kodi to control network settings? Do I need to add capabilities to the user? add the user to a special group? or do I have to run Kodi as root?

Thanks,
Avi
Stock Kodi can not control network settings even as root.
LibreELEC uses an addon developed by them for that, but thats a LE thing, not Kodi thing.
(2020-10-31, 22:57)asavah Wrote: Stock Kodi can not control network settings even as root.
LibreELEC uses an addon developed by them for that, but thats a LE thing, not Kodi thing.

Ha.
I guess I'll start digging in the LE repo then.

Thanks!
(2020-11-01, 12:11)shukron Wrote: I guess I'll start digging in the LE repo then.

FYI, LibreELEC only has 1 user: root.
If you control the OS, it's easy to allow a normal user to configure network. Worst case: add a sudo rule for writing the config
(2020-11-01, 15:13)wsnipex Wrote: If you control the OS, it's easy to allow a normal user to configure network. Worst case: add a sudo rule for writing the config
Worst case: write a WindowXML addon which uses Networkmanager's dbus api + polkit permissions. )))

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running kodi as a regular user0