Android media box player best choice for my usage
Hi everyone,

Please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong forum.

I'm looking into changing my current media box for a new one.

My main usage are :
- Netflix HD
- playing films / series from my Nas Synology
- 1080p/2160p
- Chromecast
- H.265
- ethernet preferred but WiFi just ok.

Currently I'm not using Kodi, but a direct access to my films through CIFS using my mede8er player.
I do not like Plex.

I think that the best solution for playing my films / tv series from my NAS would be Kodi.

So I'm looking for a box that can handle my usage.

I've selected some:
- Google Chromecast with Google TV + ethernet adaptator
- Google Chromecast ultra?
- Nvidia Shield TV 2019 
- Nvidia Shield TV 2019 pro (it looks like it's better for smooth reading of H.265 but a little pricey)
- Xiaomi mi box s 

It looks like the chromecast can suit my needs.

I'm a little lost now Big Grin

If you have any advice Wink

I also plan to buy a 4K Tv and I don't know if I'll have dolby vision or HDR will b
(2020-11-05, 18:33)Freyja Wrote: I also plan to buy a 4K Tv and I don't know if I'll have dolby vision or HDR will b

Hi,

If it were me wanting a new 4K HDR TV and also looking at getting into the Android TV ecoSystem.
I would simply bite the bullet and get a powerful, snappy, popular 2020 Sony X900H / X90H / X9000H

The snappy MediaTek chipset in that particular TV model makes it the 2nd most powerful Android TV media player on market after the Shield, and it has better HDR support as well. There is also Apple support too.
Basically everything.

Cheap TV’s running Android TV really are the worst combo you could buy, very little Firmware support and poor picture outputs. Spend good money on a great TV from a well known brand in the first place.

Then if that Sony TV was not adequate for Kodi a cheap Gigabit Ethernet - 4GB RAM - X96 Air running CoreELEC Kodi would definitely fix that.

Yeah I have an old Sony right now and I love their upscalling chipset.
But still, TV is a choice but I'm not sure it will fit all my needs Sad
(2020-11-06, 04:51)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-05, 18:33)Freyja Wrote: I also plan to buy a 4K Tv and I don't know if I'll have dolby vision or HDR will b

Hi,

If it were me wanting a new 4K HDR TV and also looking at getting into the Android TV ecoSystem.
I would simply bite the bullet and get a powerful, snappy, popular 2020 Sony X900H / X90H / X9000H

The snappy MediaTek chipset in that particular TV model makes it the 2nd most powerful Android TV media player on market after the Shield, and it has better HDR support as well. There is also Apple support too.
Basically everything.

Cheap TV’s running Android TV really are the worst combo you could buy, very little Firmware support and poor picture outputs. Spend good money on a great TV from a well known brand in the first place.

Then if that Sony TV was not adequate for Kodi a cheap Gigabit Ethernet - 4GB RAM - X96 Air running CoreELEC Kodi would definitely fix that.
Hello,

Finally I've went to a SONY KD-65H9505 Wink
I was hesitating with an OLED one (LG 55CX) but there were not much difference between for picture rendering and I preferred having a bigger screen for the same price.
Also I preferred Android TV over LG own software.

Hi,

Basically everything.

I'm quite disapointed.

I have many problems with XH95 and Sound decoding/passthrough.
(2020-11-25, 13:46)Freyja Wrote:

Hi,

Basically everything.

I'm quite disapointed.

I would suggest for starters you read this Reddit Sony Bravia FAQ

(2020-11-25, 15:50)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 13:46)Freyja Wrote:
(2020-11-06, 04:51)wrxtasy Wrote: Hi,

Basically everything.

I'm quite disapointed.

I would suggest for starters you read this Reddit Sony Bravia FAQ
Thanks,

I'll look into these information.
My main concern is to have one configuration once and for all and not having to swap between configuration for a source or another.

As a reminder, here are my issues: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2991115
You really can't go wrong with an Nvidia Shield Pro. It's a pricey box, but it plays everything.

The new Google TV is a good cheap alternative, especially if you do the six months of Netflix bundle, which makes the device itself about $5.00. I have a Shield, but picked up the Google TV for another room just to play with, and aside from not tone mapping HDR to SDR like the Shield, or having support for every audio codec is decent little device. I may pick up a few to give as Christmas gifts to relatives with older Roku devices.
(2020-11-29, 22:58)DrowningApe Wrote: You really can't go wrong with an Nvidia Shield Pro. It's a pricey box, but it plays everything.

The new Google TV is a good cheap alternative, especially if you do the six months of Netflix bundle, which makes the device itself about $5.00. I have a Shield, but picked up the Google TV for another room just to play with, and aside from not tone mapping HDR to SDR like the Shield, or having support for every audio codec is decent little device. I may pick up a few to give as Christmas gifts to relatives with older Roku devices.
Thanks for the answer !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
media box player best choice for my usage0