v19 Kodi freezes on black screen intermittently, near the start of movie playback
Kodo on my NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro intermittently crashes to a black screen, somewhere near the start of videos (usually within the first 10 seconds).

When Kodi crashes, I can get back into it by forcing the app to close and then reopening it. The video which crashed several seconds will then most likely not cause Kodi to crash on the next attempt.

What level of logging should I enable in Kodi and what other information should I provide for troubleshooting purposes?

Thanks!
Start with the default debugging enabled level, you can always include additional components if necessary.
(2020-11-21, 08:47)Klojum Wrote: Start with the default debugging enabled level, you can always include additional components if necessary.

Thanks. I'll share my logs soon.
(2020-11-21, 08:47)Klojum Wrote: Start with the default debugging enabled level, you can always include additional components if necessary.

Here's my debug log:

https://paste.kodi.tv/afidojiqiz.kodi

Any ideas why my video stuttered a few times today during playback?
Plenty of these are appearing:
ERROR: ffmpeg[2EE3BA44F0]: [h264] reference picture missing

I'm no video guru, but it looks as if your video file is missing something.
Perhaps the video remux went bad, or a download failed.

Try to display some of the video test files and see if freezing/crashing continues to happen.
(2020-11-22, 08:53)Klojum Wrote: Plenty of these are appearing:
ERROR: ffmpeg[2EE3BA44F0]: [h264] reference picture missing

I'm no video guru, but it looks as if your video file is missing something.

Try to display some of the video test files and see if freezing/crashing continues to happen.
https://paste.kodi.tv/ejofidadek.kodi

Here's a bigger log file. Does it help?

I'll try the video test files next. Thanks.
(2020-11-22, 08:53)Klojum Wrote: I'm no video guru, but it looks as if your video file is missing something.

The problem affects multiple known good video files intermittently. If there was a problem with the video file, surely it would fail to play back on VLC, or at least would *consistently* fail to play on Kodi?

Also, these different files all get start within the first 20 seconds of playback. Surely, if it really was a problem with the media, you would expect playback to stall at different parts in the files, rather than always approximately 20 seconds from the start?

If playback for a given file gets stuck (typically near the beginning), then you can stop playback and it will work perfectly find for the next 10 times in a row! If the media was too corrupted to play back properly once, surely the playback error would be repeatable?

I'm pretty sure this is a Kodi bug as Kodi has a direct Etherent connection to our NAS and there are very few moving parts.
*get stuck

I still can't edit out my own typos. I don't see how that helps the fight against spam.
(2020-12-11, 19:59)Mr Ethernet Wrote: I still can't edit out my own typos. I don't see how that helps the fight against spam.

There are various types of spam. There are a couple of defenses active, one of them is a "learner's trial period" which will vanish soon with a number of posts as well as a certain time period. Don't worry, it's not months. Wink
If anyone has experienced media files intermittently causing Kodi to freeze within the first 30 seconds of playback or so, I would be interested to hear from you. Thanks!
I had a problem (solved now) like this quite a while ago, disabling the 'extract thumbnails from video files' fixed it, think the bug was nailed, but I keep it off. I note: GUI format 1920x1080, Display 3840x2160 @ 59.940060 - Full Screen, for the purpose of testing can you keep to 1920x1080x60 on the Nvidia (2017?) and don't update library on start, turn off refresh rate and sync and let's see if you still have the issue.
(2020-12-11, 23:52)PatK Wrote: I had a problem (solved now) like this quite a while ago, disabling the 'extract thumbnails from video files' fixed it, think the bug was nailed, but I keep it off. I note: GUI format 1920x1080, Display 3840x2160 @ 59.940060 - Full Screen, for the purpose of testing can you keep to 1920x1080x60 on the Nvidia (2017?) and don't update library on start, turn off refresh rate and sync and let's see if you still have the issue.

- ...disabling the 'extract thumbnails from video files' fixed it No change.
- ...can you keep to 1920x1080x60 on the Nvidia (2017?) No change.
- ...and don't update library on start Already disabled.
- ...turn off refresh rate and sync No change.

Update:

- many video files (e.g. good-quality remuxes) actually never have problems when playing on Kodi on my NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro
- however, certain files have terrible stuttering problems but ONLY when played on Kodi on my NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro. These problematic files do NOT have any stuttering issues when played on my PC using VLC, or even when playing using Kodi installed on my PC.
- when logging was enabled and I was observing stuttering on a problematic movie in real time, I noticed that CPU-KODI was showing around 350%. With movies that play normally, CPU-KODI typically shows around 50-75%. So it appears that a CPU bottleneck-type issue may be happening in some situations for some reason.
- when Kodi on my SHIELD is stuttering on a movie it doesn't like, the play/pause button becomes almost completely unresponsive and the video will continue to play for up to 10 seconds before slowly grinding to an eventual halt, after being told to pause.
- when Kodi on my SHIELD is struggling to play a problematic movie and is stuttering, a Kodi overlay frequently appears in the middle of the screen, showing "100%", which seems to indicate that it was about to start buffering. It's like it's just playing enough frames not to stop playback and officially start buffering, despite the fact the frame rate massively drops to an unacceptable level during playback anyway. I'm surprised it bothers to play stuttering content and doesn't just buffer further ahead, until it has enough frames are in memory for playback to be acceptable.

Summary:

The problem only occurs when CERTAIN files are played on Kodi on my NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro (i.e. not with all files).

The files that the SHIELD does struggle with have no problems at all when played using Kodi on a PC. If the files were corrupted, why would Kodi struggle with them on the SHIELD but have no problem at all on a PC?

Does no one have any clue what's going on? My issue is 100% repeatable with multiple files - so this must be fairly widespread. Is this a rare issue? Is this forum just less active than I thought?

Is there a better place to ask for help than here?
(2020-12-13, 17:21)Mr Ethernet Wrote: CPU bottleneck-type issue may be happening in some situations for some reason.
You didn't mention the file type, res, encode and bit depth. Think a lot of hardware will have issues with 4K UHD h265 and you could peruse the forum for various solutions. I would keep the Kodi and the Nvidia Shield at 1080p for best performance, obviously there is some issues in the background tasks. You do not want the Nvidia held down by audio decoding, ensure your pass-through is toggled. You'll want to pin down "CERTAIN files" that don't play and let's see what the common denominator is, a debug log might be useful if it shows a failure to play.
(2020-12-14, 18:30)PatK Wrote:
(2020-12-13, 17:21)Mr Ethernet Wrote: CPU bottleneck-type issue may be happening in some situations for some reason.
You didn't mention the file type, res, encode and bit depth. Think a lot of hardware will have issues with 4K UHD h265 and you could peruse the forum for various solutions. I would keep the Kodi and the Nvidia Shield at 1080p for best performance, obviously there is some issues in the background tasks. You do not want the Nvidia held down by audio decoding, ensure your pass-through is toggled. You'll want to pin down "CERTAIN files" that don't play and let's see what the common denominator is, a debug log might be useful if it shows a failure to play.

Uncle.Frank.2020.HDR.2160p.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.H.265-ROCCaT.mkv

File type: MKV
Resolution: 3840 x 1600
Encode: H.265
Bit depth: 10 bits

Overall bit rate: 15.4 Mb/s
File size: 10.2 GiB
Duration: 1 h 34 min

Try starting playback of the following two embedded videos at the same time for the sake of comparison.

You'll notice that the stuttering video drifts further and further behind where it's supposed to be, before cheating and simply skipping over a few seconds of content, allowing it to catch up to the timestamp. It then drifts further behind again and the cycle is repeated.

Normal playback (i.e. when playing on any device other than the NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro)

Stuttering playback (this only occurs with Kodi on the NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro)

To answer my own question:

It seems that simply avoiding 4K media is the answer - at least for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi freezes on black screen intermittently, near the start of movie playback0