Want to separate Movies into groups and have a top level menu for each type
Hi All. 

New here.. but used Kodi a long time.

Here's my question/ask/request for help.

I would like to add few top level menu items in Kodi.. that would add Movies in different groups..

Movies (as per default)
Movies 4K
Movies Sets
Movies Home (home movies)
Movies Bollywood
Movies Foreign

I don't want the "movies" to be swamped with all of them... but to separate them out into other top level menus.

Can anyone please help...or point me to the right way.
(I already have this setup in Plex...and I know I can use a plex plugin to sync Kodi to it...) but I would like a stand alone setup...and maybe sync the playlist/watched afterwards. (so any pointers on stage2 would be great too)

Thanks in advance
Look at video nodes (wiki). That can do most of what you want, although you will have to also alter the default movies one if you want to exclude stuff from it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2020-12-05, 20:50)DarrenHill Wrote: Look at video nodes (wiki). That can do most of what you want, although you will have to also alter the default movies one if you want to exclude stuff from it.

Thanks Darren.. but i cannot get it to work.

I've installed estuary mod v2... which allows me to make the top level menus.. but each time i add media to them... it adds the movies to them all...not just the ones i want in each.

Can you please help further. It's on an android TV... 18.9... and i've got a media share... that is \\server\media (as media mount point) with all different folders underneath... with things in there...

\movies-bollywood
\movies-sets
\movies-recorded
\movies
\movies-home
\movies-4k
\tv

I just can't sort the nodes/parent nodes/creating them
(2020-12-05, 20:29)harvsingh Wrote: I would like to add few top level menu items in Kodi.. that would add Movies in different groups..

If you're willing to switch to a new skin, such as Aeon Nox:SiLVO, you can use the method described here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items to get what you want.
Matrix 19.x (LE), Aeon Nox SiLVO, NUC8i5BEK (i5-8259U, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655, 16 GB ram, 128 GB M.2 SSD)
Samsung F6300 46" LED LCD TV, SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier, Pioneer HPM-100 speakers
Synology DS215j NAS fileserver (WD Gold 10TB x 2)
(2020-12-06, 23:16)harvsingh Wrote:
(2020-12-05, 20:50)DarrenHill Wrote: Look at video nodes (wiki). That can do most of what you want, although you will have to also alter the default movies one if you want to exclude stuff from it.

I've installed estuary mod v2... which allows me to make the top level menus.. but each time i add media to them... it adds the movies to them all...not just the ones i want in each.

Can you please help further. It's on an android TV... 18.9... and i've got a media share... that is \\server\media (as media mount point) with all different folders underneath... with things in there...

\movies-bollywood
\movies-sets
\movies-recorded
\movies
\movies-home
\movies-4k
\tv

I found out that it is easier to use a playlist for multiple items on menu.
I start out making playlists I think I might use.
I then use those playlists to customize the main items.

After that it is just a matter go to main screen

I have added custom headers in my movie categories on top also.

Have fun.
(2020-12-05, 20:29)harvsingh Wrote: Hi All. 

I would like to add few top level menu items in Kodi.. that would add Movies in different groups..

Movies (as per default)
Movies 4K
Movies Sets
Movies Bollywood
Movies Foreign

I don't want the "movies" to be swamped with all of them... but to separate them out into other top level menus.

(I already have this setup in Plex...and I know I can use a plex plugin to sync Kodi to it...) but I would like a stand alone setup...and maybe sync the playlist/watched afterwards. (so any pointers on stage2 would be great too)

Thanks in advance

Do you add your folders separately , as in your list above, do you for example add your 4K movies in a folder containing only them ?
(2020-12-06, 23:43)whysoserious Wrote:
(2020-12-05, 20:29)harvsingh Wrote: I would like to add few top level menu items in Kodi.. that would add Movies in different groups..

If you're willing to switch to a new skin, such as Aeon Nox:SiLVO, you can use the method described here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items to get what you want.

I'll have a look at this now.. but it also says i can do this on the skin I have currently (on this page) .. but i will try the Aeon Nox and see if that works...
I just preferred the stock looking Estuary mod
(2020-12-07, 00:05)Harro Wrote:
(2020-12-06, 23:16)harvsingh Wrote:

\movies-bollywood
\movies-sets
\movies-recorded
\movies
\movies-home
\movies-4k
\tv

I then use those playlists to customize the main items.

After that it is just a matter go to main screen

I have added custom headers in my movie categories on top also.

Have fun.

I've tried to do smart Playlists...and it's never worked. 
I can create the xsp files.. put them into kodi folder... and when selected.. it still shows no media... (even though the path is set)
I'm clearly missing something.
Does your Movies one.. still show every single movie.. 4k and normal too?
(2020-12-07, 12:47)ontap Wrote:
(2020-12-05, 20:29)harvsingh Wrote: Hi All. 

Movies (as per default)
Movies 4K
Movies Sets
Movies Bollywood
Movies Foreign

Thanks in advance

Do you add your folders separately , as in your list above, do you for example add your 4K movies in a folder containing only them ?

Yes.. The movies are all separated and i want to keep them that way.. 
It's just the fact i don't want them all in one group either.  (so may remove the existing "Movies" one in kodi) and just create a new "movies" that is not connected
(2020-12-09, 23:17)harvsingh Wrote:
(2020-12-07, 00:05)Harro Wrote:
(2020-12-06, 23:16)harvsingh Wrote: Thanks Darren.. but i cannot get it to work.

\movies-bollywood
\movies-sets
\movies-recorded
\movies
\movies-home
\movies-4k
\tv

I've tried to do smart Playlists...and it's never worked. 
I can create the xsp files.. put them into kodi folder... and when selected.. it still shows no media... (even though the path is set)
I'm clearly missing something.
Does your Movies one.. still show every single movie.. 4k and normal too?
yes the main Movies does show all movies ,4k and standard. This would be a normal thing on Kodi, since the 4 k and standard movies are movies and Kodi needs to keep track of them in your library. That is why the playlists are created to narrow what I want on my main screen.

Do you have your movies-bollywood in a separate folder from the movies folder? The same with your other movies items you would like to split. If you did make separate folders, making a playlist is simple then.

4k movies
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>4K Movies </name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>smb://192.168.0.121/UHD Movies/</value>
    </rule>
</smartplaylist>

Star Wars
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="movies">
    <name>Star Wars</name>
    <match>all</match>
    <rule field="studio" operator="contains">
        <value>Lucasfilm</value>
        <value>Lucasfilm Ltd.</value>
    </rule>
    <rule field="path" operator="contains">
        <value>smb://192.168.0.121/UHD Movies/</value>
    </rule>
</smartplaylist>
Sorry reread your last reply but wondering if you mean all movies are in a folder structure as this?  Movies/movie name folder/ movie.mkv
or
Movies Bollywood/movie name folder/ movie.mkv. Movies 4K/movie name folder/ movie.mkv. each a separate source for movies.
If you are adding rour movies to kodi in "category" folders , ie , for example all Bollywood movies would be in a folder entitled Bollywood and so on , then its simple to add a particular folder to the main menu as a main menu item.
The path would be     settings-media-videos-  there you will see each separate movie category folder, long press on OK on remote or key board , clk on save to favourites. 
Then back out to    settings-skin settings- configure main menu -+(add mainmenu item)-scroll down to and clk on favourites> then choose your favourited folder and name it what ever you wish.
(2020-12-10, 03:46)Harro Wrote: Sorry reread your last reply but wondering if you mean all movies are in a folder structure as this?  Movies/movie name folder/ movie.mkv
or
Movies Bollywood/movie name folder/ movie.mkv. Movies 4K/movie name folder/ movie.mkv. each a separate source for movies.

Exactly that

\\SERVER\SHARE\Movies
\\SERVER\SHARE\Movies4K
\\SERVER\SHARE\MoviesSets
\\SERVER\SHARE\MoviesBollywood
(2020-12-13, 03:01)harvsingh Wrote:
(2020-12-10, 03:46)Harro Wrote: Sorry reread your last reply but wondering if you mean all movies are in a folder structure as this?  Movies/movie name folder/ movie.mkv
or

Exactly that

\\SERVER\SHARE\Movies
\\SERVER\SHARE\Movies4K
\\SERVER\SHARE\MoviesSets
\\SERVER\SHARE\MoviesBollywood

Just FYI.. the media folder I added was \\SERVER\SHARE onto kodi.. and then each subcatagory is available on that from there.. 
I didn't add each one separately as a media source
I didn't think that was needed.

BTW Using the above methods .. i've somehow managed to get the top level menus working on the suggested skin.. but it just shows explorer / file / directory listings... not the movie tiles/infos

is this because i've not added the movies to the "MOVIES" default section first? (telling it source...saying its got movies... and letting it scan media?"

Any thoughts?
(2020-12-13, 03:13)harvsingh Wrote: Just FYI.. the media folder I added was \\SERVER\SHARE onto kodi.. and then each subcatagory is available on that from there.. 
I didn't add each one separately as a media source
I didn't think that was needed.
Yes it is needed. Add the 4 parent folders as separate Sources.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Want to separate Movies into groups and have a top level menu for each type0