Solved No Sound - ubuntu 20.04.1
Logfile: https://pastebin.com/yMV9uXvz

I am running with ubuntu 20.04  I have no sound.  I do have sound with vlc.  I have tested my sound with pulse audio volume control with no problem.  Which means that I have done something clever to kodi.  I have checked with the audio settings for kodi and everything seems normal.  I have also checked the audio settings when playing a video and everything seems dandy there too.  This has happened to me before and, if I remember correctly, it was a simple solution due to a stupid setting.  Oh, I have found others who have lost audio and nothing there seemed to fix the problem either.

Thoughts?
Processor:                     AMD FX(tn)-4300 Quad-Core Processor
Memory:                        15307MB (4282MB used)
Operating System:        Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
I have been studying my settings.  Get my audio from a Denon receiver works fine with everything but kodi

In pulse audio volume control I have (freshwrapper and kodi):
built-in audio digital stereo (HDMI)  
Ports:
digital output (pc/pdif)  - there is nothing connected to this
built in audio digital stereo (hdmi)
port: hdmi/ digital port (plugged in)
configuration:
profile: built in digital stereo (hdmi)  output
profile: built in Digital Stereo (IEC958) Output  (since sound is in hdmi this probably should't be checked but is but makes no difference)

In kodi audio settings whilst playing:
the audio is minus '-'  -19.2db
volume amplification and downmix are not minus amounts
there is the words "Audio Passthrough" is on main kodi audio settings close to bottom of audio settings

Under audio decoder in system
Audio Output Device: built-in audio digital stereo (HDMI); HDMI/Displayport (PULSEAUDIO)
Number of Channels is 5/1

Testing output with pulseaudio volume control works fine.

When I press f8 I get a little mute icon that goes on and of with pushes.

Its all pretty mysterious!  Oh, again, I have audio everyplace but Kodi.
(2020-12-21, 19:11)jwhitt12 Wrote: In kodi audio settings whilst playing:
Could this be the problem? The audio is lowered greatly in Kodi, therefore it's feeding next to nothing out.

Try raising this gradually to 0 whilst some some video is playing to see if sound begins to emerge.

(and yeah, I had this issue once - there was some button on the remote that altered XBMC's volume and sitting on the remote meant no sound for a while until I discovered this settings in the config)
(2020-12-23, 18:52)Preacher Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 19:11)jwhitt12 Wrote: In kodi audio settings whilst playing:
Could this be the problem? The audio is lowered greatly in Kodi, therefore it's feeding next to nothing out.

Try raising this gradually to 0 whilst some some video is playing to see if sound begins to emerge.

(and yeah, I had this issue once - there was some button on the remote that altered XBMC's volume and sitting on the remote meant no sound for a while until I discovered this settings in the config)

Thanks for the response!

I have been trying to figure out how to do exactly what you are suggesting.  I can't find anything to change!  From reading I think its something to do with volume settings in live video.  I have live video shut down though.  I am going to keep looking.  Somebody must remember how to do it! (I too had this problem but it was a long time ago and my memory isn't that great)

Do you happen to know where in the config (assuming the setup config).  As far as I know kodi doesn't have a file with all the config info.  I just did another search and found that there is a file called "userdata"  I am going to try and find that one and see what is there. 

mysteries abound!
I have also noticed one other thing.  When I am playing a video, and goto audio and then move the bar on volume it goes FROM '0' DOWN (like from 0 to -20db)  All the other bars go up but not this one!
(2020-12-24, 01:55)jwhitt12 Wrote: I have also noticed one other thing.  When I am playing a video, and goto audio and then move the bar on volume it goes FROM '0' DOWN (like from 0 to -20db)  All the other bars go up but not this one!

I found the answer!
Settings/Player/Videos: Ensure "Sync playback to display" is DISABLED !!!
(2020-12-24, 02:50)jwhitt12 Wrote: Settings/Player/Videos: Ensure "Sync playback to display" is DISABLED !!!

That option has no dealings with audio AFAIK, but if it works, so be it.
Thread marked solved.
(2020-12-24, 04:18)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-12-24, 02:50)jwhitt12 Wrote: Settings/Player/Videos: Ensure "Sync playback to display" is DISABLED !!!

That option has no dealings with audio AFAIK, but if it works, so be it.

It disables passthrough
(2020-12-24, 01:55)jwhitt12 Wrote: on volume it goes FROM '0' DOWN (like from 0 to -20db)  All the other bars go up but not this one!
Although you've solved the problem, just to explain this: it's not VOLUME but ATTENUATION. 0 mean 100% of the sound is permitted, untouched; -5dB is 5 times "quieter" (about half volume).

Most professional mixing equipment works this way: they have attenuators throughout the audio chain until hitting the main amps in which the sound is then jacked up to 500W etc.

Boosting anything above 0dB runs the risk of signal clipping or introducing distortion throughout the chain, which then sounds terrible when amplified at the last stage.

Look at Vu meters - you'll see them rated in decibels (dB) and anything above the 0 mark is flagged red as potential for signal taint.
(2020-12-24, 08:16)wsnipex Wrote: It disables passthrough

Oops, thx for that info. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound - ubuntu 20.04.10