Classical music: displaying relevant information on "Now Playing" window
Thanks to the very kind and highly skilled @wyrm skin programmer, the AppTV skin displays some relevant information when playing classical music. If the tag "genre" contains "classic", the "Now Playing" window displays:

Composer
Title
Artist
Album

This is good, however, it is not optimal. The best, in my opinion, would be

Composer
Title
Performer - Conductor - Orchestra
Album

All the classical-music-related tags are displayed only if not empty. Wyrm tried, but he tells me that unfortunately "Performer is not supported", "Orchestra is available, but not being picked up", while "Conductor" is available and picked up.

He suggested that I post here this request. Thank you very much for your consideration.
(2020-12-23, 13:22)pierocol Wrote: Thanks to the very kind and highly skilled @wyrm skin programmer, the AppTV skin displays some relevant information when playing classical music. If the tag "genre" contains "classic", the "Now Playing" window displays:

Composer
Title
Artist
Album

This is good, however, it is not optimal. The best, in my opinion, would be

Composer
Title
Performer - Conductor - Orchestra
Album

All the classical-music-related tags are displayed only if not empty. Wyrm tried, but he tells me that unfortunately "Performer is not supported", "Orchestra is available, but not being picked up", while "Conductor" is available and picked up.

He suggested that I post here this request. Thank you very much for your consideration.
My experience is it comes down to how you tag your classical music.  I've tried various methods, but finally settled on MusicBrainz classical style guide.  It doesn't work perfectly, mainly because MB stores much more info than Kodi.  Kodi database has a set of pre-defined roles but also allows a free-form extension via the PERFORMER/TMCL/TIPL tag.  The only pre-defined roles I use are artist, album artist, conductor, and composer.  Artist and Album Artist are formed using the MB style guide and the Kodi special tags for ARTISTS and ALBUMARTISTS.   Everything else I use PERFORMER such as for orchestra, chorus, and soloists.  I do this to get better control than using ENSEMBLE which to me can mean various things.  But if you use PERFORMER you need to be consistent, otherwise you get a mess.  PERFORMER takes a tuple of name and (role) or (instrument).

But for skinning you kind of need to know what conventions you use for your PERFORMERs so you can display what you want.  As an aside, for songs I use a songwriter PERFORMER as I don't want them mixed in with my composers.  IMHO a limitation in the current artist role implementation is you can't treat instrument differently from role so for example in vocal music the vocal instrument might be S/S/A/T/B but each of those might be soloists playing a named "part" (eg opera).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Classical music: displaying relevant information on "Now Playing" window0