Linux Utilizing as much RAM as possible via advancedsettings.xml
Hi,

I'm using an Intel NUC with 8GB RAM (running LibreELEC). Been trying to make use of the 8GB RAM as best as possible, meaning trying to cache as much as possible (streaming from a NAS in my LAN).

I have adjusted the advancedsettings.xml as follows:
Code:
<buffermode>1
<memorysize>2411724800 (-> ~2.25GB)
<readfactor>12

When watching movie (usually between 3-4GB filesize) and checking the player process info, after some minutes the caching is maxed out with these settings at around 20-21%:

Why is Kodi not caching more? With (almost) 8GB RAM free and this value for memorysize, could I go even higher to utilize more RAM? Wiki says the following about 'memorysize' which I am not sure for my case, since 2.25GB is roughly already 1/3 of my 8GB (minus some hundred MBs for running LibreELEC itself):
Quote:"For the memory size set here, Kodi will require 3x the amount of RAM to be free. Setting this too high might cause Kodi to crash if it can't get enough RAM."
Why would you want to copy a file of 3-4 G entirely to RAM only to watch it there and delete it?  What is the use case/what problem are you trying to solve?
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
I don't have a specific problem with these settings, also not trying to copy a complete file into the RAM. The 3-4GB for movie sizes was just an example, I also have some bigger bluray-rips which are streamed from my NAS. I was just wondering if these values in my advancedsettings.xml are fine for 8GB - or if I could go higher (so I'm not wasting any available RAM).
(2021-01-17, 18:40)spinmaster Wrote: I don't have a specific problem with these settings, also not trying to copy a complete file into the RAM. The 3-4GB for movie sizes was just an example, I also have some bigger bluray-rips which are streamed from my NAS. I was just wondering if these values in my advancedsettings.xml are fine for 8GB - or if I could go higher (so I'm not wasting any available RAM).
If a 2.25GB buffer is not sufficient to watch your content then the network would be the problem, not the amount of 'wasted' RAM. 2.25GB is more than enough, it would be pointless to try and increase it, as you're not really wasting any RAM just not using it as it's not required.
I'm going to speculate that those settings are entirely superfluous.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
@FXB78 thanks, again, I was not having any specific (network) issues, just thinking of optimizing the settings on/for my installation with the hardware that I have available. Anyway, I will leave it like this.
I'm fairly certain many of those settings for optimization were necessary back when wifi was much slower than it is now. Wired has always been rock solid but wifi has only recently (relatively) come into it's own as a solid reliable way of doing things as well as in every lan. It's the rule rather than the exception now. With the consistency and bandwidth we now have over even a basic wifi access point these days they are all but useless save a few specific niche cases maybe. Is how I see it at least.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Utilizing as much RAM as possible via advancedsettings.xml0