Was going to get Google TV Chromecast but not so sure now - any advice/alternatives?
Hi there.

I am currently on the lookout for an all-in-one device that I can add to my TV in bedroom.

At the moment, I have a Raspberry Pi2 (which I use with Kodi, for watching Live TV and recordings - via a separate headless TV, running TVHeadend).

My TV is not smart, so I also have to use a separate Chromecast (first generation) to watch Netflix and other online content (Youtube, BBC iPlayer, MY5 etc).

I could really do with an all-in-one device to replace them both but am struggling to find what will do the trick.

When I heard that the new Google TV was coming out, I thought that that would be the obvious choice but I have read that there is no All4 app, which is a bit of a shame, given that it is quite expensive.  4GB of usable storage is also pretty poor as well.

Ultimately, is Google TV worth it or are there any other device worth considering instead?
(2021-02-02, 23:17)elsmandino Wrote: Hi there.

I am currently on the lookout for an all-in-one device that I can add to my TV in bedroom.

At the moment, I have a Raspberry Pi2 (which I use with Kodi, for watching Live TV and recordings - via a separate headless TV, running TVHeadend).

My TV is not smart, so I also have to use a separate Chromecast (first generation) to watch Netflix and other online content (Youtube, BBC iPlayer, MY5 etc).

I could really do with an all-in-one device to replace them both but am struggling to find what will do the trick.

When I heard that the new Google TV was coming out, I thought that that would be the obvious choice but I have read that there is no All4 app, which is a bit of a shame, given that it is quite expensive.  4GB of usable storage is also pretty poor as well.

Ultimately, is Google TV worth it or are there any other device worth considering instead?

Have you thought about a firestick? Has all the on demand apps including all4. Not much storage on board but can be expanded by using otg cable and usb stick.
Thanks so much for the advice - the Firestick looks like just the ticket.  I will probably go with the lite version, which is even more of a bargain.

How is the Kodi experience on the Firestick, generally?  I assume that it is just as good as a Raspberry Pi2/3 if not better?

The otg usb stick idea is also perfect for me as I use storage for storing thumbnails and EPG on Kodi.  I take it that the USB stick can be used for all this?
I currently use a 4k firestick and kodi works fine. I did use to have a rpi 2 and the firestick is a lot faster.
I'm not sure how kodi runs on the newer firesticks as they have slightly less ram than the 4k version but I think it should be fine.

Are you wanting to play any 4k content? If so I would go for the 4k firestick (running latest kodi 19 Matrix beta).

Regarding thumbnails, epg, I assume you can store on usb stick and point kodi to them folders. Not 100% how those folders work tho.

Let me know if ya need any more help.
(2021-02-04, 21:48)Avds Wrote: I currently use a 4k firestick and kodi works fine. I did use to have a rpi 2 and the firestick is a lot faster.
I'm not sure how kodi runs on the newer firesticks as they have slightly less ram than the 4k version but I think it should be fine.

Are you wanting to play any 4k content? If so I would go for the 4k firestick (running latest kodi 19 Matrix beta).

Regarding thumbnails, epg, I assume you can store on usb stick and point kodi to them folders. Not 100% how those folders work tho.

Hi Avds.

Are you still loving the Firestick?

As per your advice, I went with the 4k version and it is really very good - very snappy.

Unfortunately, as I have a couple of Raspberry Pis (2 and3) that run Libreelec, I have had to stick with Kodi 18 as I am sharing a MySQL database and I have read that it does not like different versions of Kodi.

Prime day is coming up and I was thinking about getting Firekstick 4ks for every other TV in the house (which means another three of them).

I was just wondering whether you are still happy that you made the choice of the Firestick over the Google TV Chromecast.
(2021-06-07, 13:40)elsmandino Wrote:
(2021-02-04, 21:48)Avds Wrote: I currently use a 4k firestick and kodi works fine. I did use to have a rpi 2 and the firestick is a lot faster.

Hi Avds.

Are you still loving the Firestick?

As per your advice, I went with the 4k version and it is really very good - very snappy.

Unfortunately, as I have a couple of Raspberry Pis (2 and3) that run Libreelec, I have had to stick with Kodi 18 as I am sharing a MySQL database and I have read that it does not like different versions of Kodi.

Prime day is coming up and I was thinking about getting Firekstick 4ks for every other TV in the house (which means another three of them).

I was just wondering whether you are still happy that you made the choice of the Firestick over the Google TV Chromecast.

Hello.

Yeh I'm still happy with the firesticks. I don't use them as my daily devices as I have a Nvidia shield pro 2019 now. But I still have 3 which do get some use. For the money nothing beats them, even better when on offer.
I only watch local content and streaming services so shield probably overkill.
(2021-06-07, 13:40)elsmandino Wrote: Prime day is coming up and I was thinking about getting Firekstick 4ks for every other TV in the house (which means another three of them).
I'd wait for the next gen 4K stick. It's coming up on 3 years since the last 4K stick came out and I'm planning to replace my 4K stick with the next gen one and put the old 4K stick in a guest room.
Thanks very much, guys.
(2021-06-09, 09:36)Kodroid Wrote:
(2021-06-07, 13:40)elsmandino Wrote: Prime day is coming up and I was thinking about getting Firekstick 4ks for every other TV in the house (which means another three of them).
I'd wait for the next gen 4K stick. It's coming up on 3 years since the last 4K stick came out and I'm planning to replace my 4K stick with the next gen one and put the old 4K stick in a guest room.
Any idea when the new one might be out?  I have had a scan on the net and there does not seem to be much on it - though it definitely seems to be on its way.
(2021-06-09, 11:23)elsmandino Wrote: Thanks very much, guys.
(2021-06-09, 09:36)Kodroid Wrote:
Any idea when the new one might be out?  I have had a scan on the net and there does not seem to be much on it - though it definitely seems to be on its way.
Nothing is certain but the pattern is this:

https://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tvs-an...n-october/
(2021-02-02, 23:17)elsmandino Wrote: Hi there.

I don't know about the All4 app but the 4gb storage is a non issue if you put your thumbnails on the server and use path substitution. I love my Chrome TV boxes, got a couple of them running now. They are working wonderfully for us. The remote is a bit limited but we adjusted our muscle memory pretty quickly. On both of mine though the volume buttons don't adjust Kodi's volume. I have no idea why that is. But no problem as we have them connected to sound systems that have their own remotes anyway.

I also have a Firestick, not sure it's a 4k one but it works just fine as well. Enjoyed it so much we replaced one tv with a Fire tv specifically. A fire device will need path substitution with thumbnails on the server as well, at least in my case so far.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Was going to get Google TV Chromecast but not so sure now - any advice/alternatives?0