OS X tinyMediaManager doesn't work on MacBook Air M1
hi,
i've tried the latest version of tinyMediaManager and the nightly version on my MacBook Air M1 and the app crashes immediately. Seems it doesn't work with Rosetta 2. Are there any plans in the future that I can use tinyMediaManager on my MacBook Air M1?

Thanks
tmm is built on Java and looks like Java is running on Apple M1 chips with Rosetta 2 (which I can hardly believe)... Did tmm 4.0.7 run on that platform (since there is an upgrade to Java 15 in the latest nightly)?
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Help us translate tinyMediaManager at Weblate | Translations at 66%
Found a bug or want to submit a feature request? Contact us at GitLab
looks like there is still an issue in golang with amd64 built binaries under rosetta 2 (which is basically our launcher) - https://github.com/golang/go/issues/42700

I will keep an eye on this
tinyMediaManager - THE media manager of your choice - available for Windows, macOS and Linux
Thanks @heinzgruber for raising this issue. I too just got myself the new Macbook Air M1 and was about to set up TMM after a fresh Big Sur install. Sad to hear, that it's not launching. Sad

@mlaggner : Just to understand exactly where the fix needs to happen in order to make TMM work on Apple Silicone: is it on the (Java-) Launcher itself used by TMM (so that you would need to package a new release in the future) or on Rosetta2?
as far as I understand the issue at golang, this must be either fixed by golang itself OR rosetta/apple. If it get fixed by golang, I just need to recompile the launcher with the latest golang version (or maybe even try to build an arm version, but I doubt it will work by using the launcher as ARM and Java/tmm as amd64).

If I get access to a M1 device (either macbook air or mac mini) I can try to reproduce those issues and what the possible solutions would be
Understood, thanks for clarifying. Will keep an eye on the thread on Github. There is a Beta for macOS 11.3 (11.2 just got released a few days ago) released this week btw ...

But I'm not sure how aware Apple is of this issue (I assume other applications would be affected too) ... and if this a) would be part of 11.3 or b) if this could be pushed by Apple as part of a Rosetta2 Hotfix outside their OS updates. Let's hope Apple will not be the bottleneck here and it can be fixed by golang!
golang is programming language  developed by google and used for many apps.. I don't think it will take long for them (google and apple) to fix this Wink
as soon as there is a fix we can react on this
I've just compiled the launcher with golang 1.16-rc1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QxqjWTq...sp=sharing

you could try to download the new build, extract it into the tmm app (/Contents/MacOS) and overwrite the existing file "tinyMediaManager" there. Maybe you need to flag it as executable - and then retry to start tmm
I just gained access to a new mac mini and I have to say that both the old and the new launcher (compiled with golang 1.15 and 1.16 beta) works. Just make sure rosetta is installed AND you are not executing tmm from the downloads folder (https://www.tinymediamanager.org/help/fa...wont-start)
Thanks @mlaggner for the update. I haven't found the time yet to check it myself with the test build you provided after my fresh Big Sur installation... But I'm curious: if it works for you on a M1 Mac Mini with the old launcher (using the "unfixed" golang 1.15): is the crash that was posted by the OP "false alarm"? It would mean that there are no obstacles even with the current TMM build, given both requirements you mentioned (Rosetta installation and execution from Apps folder) are met.

@heinzgruber : does it still crash on your machine after you have verified these two things?
(2021-02-03, 19:00)mlaggner Wrote: looks like there is still an issue in golang with amd64 built binaries under rosetta 2 (which is basically our launcher) - https://github.com/golang/go/issues/42700

I will keep an eye on this

I just saw that the issue has been closed over there ... not sure if you need to repackage the launcher with the next release?
no, there is no need.. I've bought a mac mini M1 and everything is working. Nevertheless I also saw that the newest macOS update fixed the other issues according to golang too.
Just make sure you move the extracted tinyMediaManager.app out of the downloads folder
Great news, thanks a ton!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tinyMediaManager doesn't work on MacBook Air M10