Rating filter in smart playlist + album play count
Yesterday I used a smart playlist while I was working. The playlist has a filter for my music "Rating greater than 3" (which is a bit silly for FLAC which uses up to 10 in kodi) and is otherwise set to random selection. Anyway, I was wondering why so much mediocre music was played and I noticed that songs with rating "3" where included where I was expecting songs with rating 4 and 5.. I double-checked this behaviour by changing the filter to "Rating greater than 4" and sure enough, songs with rating 4 were included.

Also, I noticed that each randomly played song causes "Recently played album" to change. IMHO this is wrong and should only change when an album playlist is used. Replaygain uses the correct thinking when it applies track or album values depending on what kind of playlist/play order is used.
Sorry I completely forgot to mention that I'm using latest Matrix nightly on Windows.
Behaviour in both cases is by design. May not be what you want, but it is what it was designed to do and not a bug of any kind.
In the case of album count I doubt it's what anybody would want or expect. It's not about playing one song of an album but about the play order being random.

Also >3 is not 3. Anybody who programs >3 = 3 by design must have flunked their math classes, sorry to say.
I promise that kind of snarky attitude and tone will simply encourage me to ignore you @HeresJohnny.

It has obviously not crossed your mind that it may be just be a limitation of using succinct lables, and that you are taking them too literally. "Recently Played Album" is short for "Albums where any song from that album has been recently played", "greater than " is short for "greater than or equal to" etc.
In the words of the great Benny Hill: If you assume that will make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". I simply assumed that rating was 1-5 but I now tested it is 1-10. This is unfortunate, since there are only 5 rating stars in Kodi. It seems that you were not aware of that either, or you would not have goaded me with a non-sequitur "It's by design". Anyway, I've set my rating to "Greater than 6" and will take as a limitation if not all file formats have a rating tag of greater than 5.
(2021-02-20, 16:55)HeresJohnny Wrote: In the words of the great Benny Hill: If you assume that will make an "ass" out of "u" and "me". I simply assumed that rating was 1-5 but I now tested it is 1-10. This is unfortunate, since there are only 5 rating stars in Kodi. It seems that you were not aware of that either, or you would not have goaded me with a non-sequitur "It's by design". Anyway, I've set my rating to "Greater than 6" and will take as a limitation if not all file formats have a rating tag of greater than 5.
Well, the whole "rating" system has gone through much trial and tribulation, from when "userrating"  was added and also a desire to harmonize video and music ratings.  The whole POPM conversion I think was trying for all concerned due to all the different practices out there and trying to conform with what users experience on other players.

From a skinning perspective I think "half stars" are pretty much a standard so 0-10 gets mapped into 0-5 stars via half stars.

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rating filter in smart playlist + album play count0