• 7(current)
Linux HOWTO Kodi with Equalizer on LinuxMint 20.1
Well, additional frequencies make sense to achieve a better granularity or if you want to suppress or amplify a specific frequency.
Bare in mind, the more slider the more time consuming the tuning.

Just to have it said, you can choose whatever frequency you want in the settings. I guess you have seen this, already. 

My experience is, with manual tuning you get no where near the digital room correction. Also with digital room correction you can make your different speakers sound the "same". Of course there are limits and you cannot turn a low cost speaker into something close to an high end one, but still there are good improvements feasible. 

As we are in the digital world, there is a risk that you overdrive a certain frequency which causes loss in quality. A good strategy is to lower the pre- (Vor) as much as your highest frequency level  is above the mid-point. This of course will lower the total output power. There is always a cost ....  

BTW, this is exact the same hama I have. Mine is heavily used and in a bad shape, the OK button does not work anymore.
Ebenfalls schönen Sonntag.
(2021-02-23, 20:00)wastis Wrote: Final,  a feature rich frontend for PulseAudio Equalizer.

Kodi PulseEqualizer GUI Addon

PulseEqualizer GUI is an addon that provides configuration frontend for Kodi.

This includes:
Configuration of the equalizer with sliders
Manage equalizer profiles (add, remove and change)
Switch between equalizer profiles
Switch equalizer to specific output device and port
Hotkey support for each
Supports Kodi 18 and 19

i am reread ( and trying to understand) this thread from the beginning and  noticed that my eq is missing the 3k setting.
also trying to find where the room correction is explained how to setup propperly
also is there a reason the preamp is set below 0 ?
... I did predict you questions... just read post #91 ...paragraph 2 & 4 Smile

room correction thread & room correction wiki
gooooooood morning sunshine

yes, thank you and sorry, I can not keep info in mind (instant memory wipe) and will try to write  (at least copy and paste) when I have understood how all this works and have done a few test setups to confirm that I did no leave things out, so I have a referenz hat to do with full installatins and headless and the pros and cons.

I think I saw somewhere and somewhen about changing or adding frequencies, but with the crs syndrom (can´t remember shit) it is already gone into the big memory void.

Read and think i understood the room correction and even did this in one of my home cinema setups in the last decade...

dumb question, i did some db and frequencies measuring with an android app  a while ago, is there a way to do it like that and import the file for room correction?

I just had a look into peace (equalizer apo) and remembered that there is a testing app what plays the different frequencies and you move the frequency sliders until you hear all frequencies in the same loudness. then you import it and things sound a lot better and clearer. (with the second stage of my tinitus bugging me this year I redid the test and now some frequencies need a double digit db adjustment)
Since I did not understand the corelation between reduce the pre amp to the same level you use the max frequency anplification, I had some problems and needed to engage autoclipping. thanks to your explanation things got setup better. THANK YOU
Is there this function somewhere in your toolbox?

Starting this thread from the beginning you were so exited about PulseEffects.
since I get more powerful hardware in a couple weeks, I will have power to spare.
Would it make more sense to switch to PulseEffects then?

What would I have to do  to unload  pulseaudio and try PulseEffects?
(If this is too complicated, I wait until my new hardware arrives and bug you then again Wink
Using PulseEffects was my first attempt, on a logterm test the system proved not to be stable enough and one need a desktop environment to get it running. It further more consumes lot more cpu power. You of course can test it along side the pulseaudio equalizer, just install it an select it as output device, if I remember correctly. There is no control from within kodi, for pulseeffect, I dropped my initial development on this.

People seem to like pulseeffect, it is very flashy and easy to use on a desktop environment.  

I don't know this android android app, however you need just a simple text file having frequency and level pairs per row, tabulator separated, to import it to the equalizer plugin. Maybe you can generate it with excel from the android app output.
you can generate an example file with audacity and alter it. The frequencies can be any, but shall be in rising order.

Code:

Frequency (Hz)    Level (dB)
43.066406    -55.019478
86.132812    -47.454781
129.199219    -40.442619
172.265625    -34.659641
215.332031    -31.782343
258.398438    -32.983631

No there is no auto clipping.
@wastis
gooooooood morning sunshine
Well finally my new hardware  has arrived and i did choose someting much more powerful than as previously planned.
This little box a MINIS FORUM Mini PC UM560 XT AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 6 cores/12 threads, 16GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, Mini PC, SATA slot 2.5", 2 x HDMI & USB-C, 2.5G RJ45, 6 x USB ports i got from Amazon on sale for 349E

It is powerfull enough to play GTA V with a good quality setting and let me develop my MENYOO worlds within.
So power is more than enough for everything home theater.
It runs on the final win 10 ltsc and I tried once again to use equalizer apo and peace with KODI but still they will not work together and the internet lists as only full fledged media center with an equalizer JRiver

I am open to just copy all my LinuxMint to a fast thumbdrive and set it up the way we did without all the things I did wrong in the first instance.
.... if you think this is the way to go.
My Mint starts direct into kody and shuts down via remote the whole system.
The bios of the new box has a, reconnect on powerloss, feature - so the media center will turn on via the media center main power switch - jay

I am happy with the setup we had done so far, but the volume limiter, I think I did something wrong.
If you could spend a couple more minutes to guide me again that would be great, otherwise I will work through this thead and try not to do my mistakes again.

I saw a good video about DEBIAN 12: more relevant than ever as a Linux desktop where you can install even cinamon if you so prefer.
https://youtu.be/klfgPmUsirs
would debian work with your setup or should I go the mint way, what do you think?

oh, and have a nice sunday
Good morning.

My opinion:
- Ubuntu is the best, if it comes to Kodi, as this is directly supported by the Kodi team. For a headless system it is not so ideal though.
- Kodi on Mint is probably second best as Mint currently is based on Ubuntu (this might change in the future). I personally prefer Mint over Ubuntu due to it's Cinnamon desktop.
- Kodi on Debian works so straight forward mainly because of this -> link. I think it is currently the best for a headless system, as Debian server does not have so many software packages installed that eat boot up time. It is much more pure and lightweight.

Kodi with equalizer works on all three, for the equalizer it does not matter as long as the prerequisites are installed and configured.

So, for you, use Debian only if you want set-up headless.
my dear wastis, I wanted to express my grattitude for all your patience you had with me.
to give a last update:
you sure are familliar with murpheys law, now imagine not only murphey show  up to "help" with the simple setup, but also brings the whole family and his mother in law. Now add to that a sack full of gremmlins and you might get a glimpse what i went through.
As easy as the Beelink box with the n3450  Celeron was to set up, i never in my 40 years building conputers and installing software and fighting w¡th drivers have i ever encoutered that what i went throu. The Minisforum um560xt with 16gb / 512GB and a a 6/12 Core Rizen 5600H works like a champ with windows and even runs gta v in full hd with frames to spare.
But the moment  i introduced linux , boot from usb or later forced dual boot, nothing worked right even simple things what worked out of the box on the n3450.

To make it short I got equalizer apo and peace to work with win 10 and kodi and have the equalizer doing its magic that my sound is near perfect.
again many thanks an live long and prosper

p.s. i littrally fought for over 2 weeks to get it going before i qut and went a different route
sorry bout the typos, i tried to correct but the force ist strong with my tinitus
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOWTO Kodi with Equalizer on LinuxMint 20.10