android tv - is it possible to toggle subtitles (using an equivalent of 't')?
Hi,

Am moving to use Kodi on an Android TV, after using kodi on a PC for a number of years.

I had the PC set up to toggle subtitles on (or cycle through available, etc) and off by emulating the 't' key with the Logitech Harmony remote. That worked well.

I'm a bit lost as to whether it's possible to do the same on Kodi running on an Android (Sony) TV, as there doesn't seem to be a way to send a key. I can emulate the TV Remote's commands with the Harmony remote, and I tried using the generic TV 'subtitle' button from that remote, but that doesn't seem to work in Kodi (it does work in some other TV apps though).

So sorry if it's a dumb question, but is it possible to send the equivalent of the 't' key to toggle subtitles on kodi when it's running on an Android TV, or something like that? I can't see a way to do this.

I am aware that I can change settings to show subtitles on/off in the options area as a global setting. That's fine, but my use case is that only some of the things I'm watching need subtitles, so I'd prefer to have it off, and toggle it on when necessary if that's possible.

Any advice appreciated!
(2021-03-22, 10:02)garethj Wrote: Hi,

Am moving to use Kodi on an Android TV, after using kodi on a PC for a number of years.

I had the PC set up to toggle subtitles on (or cycle through available, etc) and off by emulating the 't' key with the Logitech Harmony remote. That worked well.

I'm a bit lost as to whether it's possible to do the same on Kodi running on an Android (Sony) TV, as there doesn't seem to be a way to send a key. I can emulate the TV Remote's commands with the Harmony remote, and I tried using the generic TV 'subtitle' button from that remote, but that doesn't seem to work in Kodi (it does work in some other TV apps though).

So sorry if it's a dumb question, but is it possible to send the equivalent of the 't' key to toggle subtitles on kodi when it's running on an Android TV, or something like that? I can't see a way to do this.

I am aware that I can change settings to show subtitles on/off in the options area as a global setting. That's fine, but my use case is that only some of the things I'm watching need subtitles, so I'd prefer to have it off, and toggle it on when necessary if that's possible.

Any advice appreciated!

map subtitles function to some key on the remote. Sadly, subtitle key on the remote can't be used for that. For some reason some keys on the remote you can't map inside keymapper. But you will see which one does not generate numbers once you try to set it up.
I am using the Harmony with the Nvidia Shield and whenever I need subtitles I just click OK once and use the subtitle menu in Kodi to activate them. But I am pretty sure you could modify the Hamony action and use an unused button and assign it in the Harmony editor.
(2021-03-22, 10:02)garethj Wrote: Hi,

Any advice appreciated!
Install the Keymap Editor add-on (v 1.1.3) from the Kodi repository. Click on Run. Click on Edit. Go down and Click on Fullscreen Video. Go down and Click on Subtitle. Click on Show Subtitles. Click on Edit Key.

Press the Down button on the circle on the remote (or any other button you prefer to use. The Rewind or Forward button for example). You should now see a number next to Show Subtitles which represents the code of the button chosen.

Go back till you reach the first screen of the Add-on which shows Edit, Reset to default and Save. Go down to Save and click on it. You should now be able to turn the subtitle on and off using the remote button you chose.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
android tv - is it possible to toggle subtitles (using an equivalent of 't')?0