Help wanted: looking for information about binary add-ons
Your explanations seemed reasonable to me too and they set me on the right track to find the solution: thanks again Roman!

For future reference one solution is:
cpp:

ssize_t Read(void* context, void* buffer, size_t uiBufSize) override
{
    std:Confusedtring my_string = "my test string";
    std::memcpy(buffer, my_string.c_str(), my_string.length());
    return my_string.length();
}

int64_t GetLength(void* context) override
{
    std:Confusedtring my_string = "my test string";
    int64_t length = my_string.length();
    return length;
}

In a nutshell the problems were:
  • the size of the string returned by xbmcvfs.File(...).read() is defined by the returned value of the C method GetLength(). I was returning a dummy value in this method which explains why there were some extra bytes which python complained about (including null bytes). For instance changing return length; to return 1; in the code above will make the string returned by xbmcvfs.File(...).read() equal to "m".
  • assigning the void* buffer to another pointer was not working as expected: I think it was assigning the pointer somehow to a local/temporary value. Using memcpy copies the data in the out pointer correctly.
  • std:: string seems to be a rather useful C++ class which comes with many methods but it is not possible to use the reference of a std:: string directly because as you said the data at this address contains all the bells and whistles that make the class. This class provides the method c_str() which returns an equivalent char* which is actually only the string and can be used in memcpy.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help wanted: looking for information about binary add-ons - by ThomB - 2021-09-16, 09:46
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help wanted: looking for information about binary add-ons0