No 265 playback after last update
Hi all.

I have a raspberry pi3b which plays videos for the kids.
They play the same 10 videos over and over. You know how kids are.

About once every week I run a sudo apt-get update and upgrade through ssh.
After the last time, a few days go, kodi does not play any 265 videos anymore.
It will just show a black screen and maybe there will be the audio. When you skip further into the movie, it will crash.

To be clear, it never had ANY problem playing these movies before.
What happened and how do we make this right, cause the kids need to watch these movies! Big Grin

Thanks!
(2021-05-25, 08:12)kaneelschep Wrote: What happened and how do we make this right, cause the kids need to watch these movies!

If you're talking about LibreELEC, the RPi3 had to take a backseat for the RPi4. A new and more generic video driver/setup has been developed, and the RPi4 simply is the newest kid on the block with the most potential. The RPi3B(+) will have to wait its turn for now.

If you need h265 playback badly, simply downgrade to 9.2.x. I hope you made backups though before you updated, because Kodi isn't really backwards compatible as far as add-ons go.
No I have Raspbian os.
And then Kodi installed through the normal install.
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...spberry_Pi
https://paste.kodi.tv/femabobupo.kodi

I tried to post my log.. does this work?

Like I said. This movie was watched 10 times a day for the last year. An after last update it suddenly doesnt play. All 265 movies which used to work do not work now.
The 5.10 kernel doesn't support the legacy way of allocating gpu memory though vcsm.
Memory should be allocated through cma.
So you want to reduce gpu_mem and increase cma to fix the current crash.
But on Pi2/Pi3 the caching behaviour of the cma allocations is less efficient, so performance for hevc is lower.

If this is important to you, then downgrading to the last stable 5.4 kernel is probably best:
Code:
sudo rpi-update b7c8ef64e
and reboot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No 265 playback after last update0