Feature Request: Shuffle By Album
Right now it's possibly only to shuffle songs. One thing that it seems a lot of people like to do (myself included, since trying it after reading about it) is to shuffle albums. So for instance, randomly select an album, and then play that album in sequence.
Have you considered smart playlists (wiki)?

Example xsp to get 25 random albums.

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="albums">
    <name></name>
    <match>all</match>
    <limit>25</limit>
    <order direction="ascending">random</order>
</smartplaylist>

Once you have set up the playlist, highlight it and open the context menu.  Then choose play.  It will play 25 random albums but each album will be in track order.  Each time you play the playlist, the albums will be different.  You can further refine the list of albums by adding rules regarding genre, year, artist etc  So if you wanted to, you could set up a smart playlist to choose 10 random rock albums between 1980 & 1990 that are all shorter than 45 minutes.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-06-08, 00:32)black_eagle Wrote: Have you considered smart playlists (wiki)?

Example xsp to get 25 random albums.

xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
<smartplaylist type="albums">
    <name></name>
    <match>all</match>
    <limit>25</limit>
    <order direction="ascending">random</order>
</smartplaylist>

Once you have set up the playlist, highlight it and open the context menu.  Then choose play.  It will play 25 random albums but each album will be in track order.  Each time you play the playlist, the albums will be different.  You can further refine the list of albums by adding rules regarding genre, year, artist etc  So if you wanted to, you could set up a smart playlist to choose 10 random rock albums between 1980 & 1990 that are all shorter than 45 minutes.

Doesn't work if you have albums with multiple artists but only want to listen to a specific artist. Get fed the whole album rather than the tracks only by that artist. This is incongruous with the way the music library works, where I can view all of my artists, all of the albums they've contributed to, and then only the songs which they've contributed... but I can't shuffle that list by album, only by song. Best solution has been to sort by "last played," but is not ideal. Same problem for sorting via genre. If I have a Now That's What I Call Music album with country and rap, I don't want the country songs to populate in my rap playlist, but they will...

Ideally the way playlists work should be to call the songs which adhere to the rules and then group by album. That isn't how they function right now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature Request: Shuffle By Album0