Matrix 19.1 gave me Green Sceen of Death
Hi, I'm new here and not sure where to post this. If I put it in the wrong spot I'm sorry and can someone repost it in the correct place?

Whenever I've upgraded Kodi before everything has been fine. However this time when I upgraded to:

Kodi-19.1-Matrix-x64

Whenever I tried to do something like even pinning my Kodi icon in my taskbar Kodi would hang my computer up changing my entire screen green.

I found I could get it to run by clicking on the Kodi icon in it's home (installed) directory. But watching a movie the longest I could go without the green screen of death was about 30 or 45 mins.

I had wiped out anything connected with Kodi like my user info under C:/users and the directory where I had installed Kodi to even get this far. And had reinstalled Kodi Matrix.

Tonight I figured out that Matrix might be the problem and reinstalled:

Kodi-18.9-Leia-x64

Now everything is working fine again.

I did lose all my info by wiping out all that data but I was desperate at the time. Shame on me for not backing everything up.

Thanks for listening and if anybody has any info on how to fix this and start using Matrix, I can be reached at *EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED BY MODERATOR* (a temporary e-mail address).

Thanks, Bob

Found this request:
1. Version of Kodi.
Kodi-19.1-Matrix-x64

2. Windows Version + Service Pack version
Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
OS build 19042.985

3. CPU/Architecture (make/model and eg. 32 or 64 bit.)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3550H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx     2.10 GHz - 64 bit

4. RAM amount (2 GB, 512MB etc.)
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (14.0 GB usable)

5. Detailed Instructions to reproduce the Problem (The more specific the better.)
It happened immediately after upgrading to Kodi Matrix 19.1 and running Kodi the 1st after upgrading.

6. Details of all devices relevant to the problem
Both screens went green, my computer monitor and my TV (4K resolution) which is where I have Kodi displayed.

7. FULL Debug Log (see Section 3 below.) This is always useful even if the problem isn't actually captured as it may provide other clues and system information
Sorry I wiped that out with the rest of my data
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: Thanks for listening and if anybody has any info on how to fix this and start using Matrix, I can be reached at

This here is a public forum, where troubleshooting is designed to help everyone. Handing out an email address (temporary or not) for private support is not the way we do business here.
And yes, I have removed that email address, just as an anti-spam precaution.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: pinning my Kodi icon in my taskbar
Shouldn't be a problem, but might be if there is an operating system issue, but I suspect in the pinning procedure you have launched the program and from your description there is a problem. If launching the program from the source.exe works, your shortcut icon & properties are suspect, make a new one and enjoy the properties compatibility menu.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: the longest I could go without the green screen of death was about 30 or 45 mins.
Now that is strange... there is no background timers, but it's clear Kodi was operational and functional until some bizarre exit. Usually coloured screens are a symptom of the gfx engine.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: Kodi-18.9-Leia-x64 Now everything is working fine again.
Love to hear how users fix there own issues. If you don't have a need for the features Kodi Matrix offers, then by all means stick with what works best.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: Shame on me for not backing everything up.
Well you did say it... but the nice thing about Kodi is that a re-instillation is plenty fast if you've exported your meta-data to separate files. Suggest for experimentation with Matrix or any future iterations that you investigate Portable mode (wiki), makes life easy. I didn't catch your debug link, so everything is speculation, but chief suspect is the gfx engine.
(2021-06-10, 18:00)PatK Wrote:
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: pinning my Kodi icon in my taskbar
Shouldn't be a problem, but might be if there is an operating system issue, but I suspect in the pinning procedure you have launched the program and from your description there is a problem. If launching the program from the source.exe works, your shortcut icon & properties are suspect, make a new one and enjoy the properties compatibility menu.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: the longest I could go without the green screen of death was about 30 or 45 mins.
Now that is strange... there is no background timers, but it's clear Kodi was operational and functional until some bizarre exit. Usually coloured screens are a symptom of the gfx engine.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: Kodi-18.9-Leia-x64 Now everything is working fine again.
Love to hear how users fix there own issues. If you don't have a need for the features Kodi Matrix offers, then by all means stick with what works best.
(2021-06-10, 14:18)bobwolfe Wrote: Shame on me for not backing everything up.
Well you did say it... but the nice thing about Kodi is that a re-instillation is plenty fast if you've exported your meta-data to separate files. Suggest for experimentation with Matrix or any future iterations that you investigate Portable mode (wiki), makes life easy. I didn't catch your debug link, so everything is speculation, but chief suspect is the gfx engine.
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about the e-mail address, I was not sure if I could get back here. I will continue to use Leia since I have no problems with that version. The only reason I ever upgrade is because of that urgent request to upgrade to a more(?) stable version of Kodi. Thanks again, Bob

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Matrix 19.1 gave me Green Sceen of Death0