Solved No HDMI audio option after ubuntu update
Hi!
I have an old Chromebox I've mostly been using for Airplay applications (using Shairport Sync), but now I've figured it's time to give it an update, and I've installed Ubuntu 18.04, up from 14.04. The reason why I didn't go all the way up to 20.04 is that there isn't enough space on the tiny SSD, so something has to be done about this eventually, but that's a separate, unrelated issue.

The box was equipped with Kodibuntu, but I had to remove all Kodi-related packages to be able to update it.

After the update I've installed the latest stable Kodi 19.1 version. The problem is that I no longer have an Intel HDMI audio option in Kodi. I had this when using Kodi 17.3 with Ubuntu 14.04, so something must have gotten lost in the updates somehow.

BTW I'm using a separate USB to SPDIF device for my Airplay application, and this shows up when I run aplay -l

Code:
chromebox@chromebox:~/shairport-sync$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC283 Analog [ALC283 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: DAC [USB Audio DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In Kodi I have these audio options:
Code:

HDA Intel PCH, ALC283 Analog
USB Audio DAC, Analog
USB Audio DAC, S/PDIF

Does anybody know how I can get audio over HDMI working again?
Oh, BTW I just found out that I'm not getting 1080p output, I'm only getting a maximum of 1360x768. xrandr tells me this:

Code:

xrandr: Failed to get the size of gamma for output default screen 0:minimum 1360 x 768, current 1360 x 768, maximum 1360 x 768
default connected 1360x768+0+0 0mm x 0m
    1360x768        76.00*

Probably related to the Intel drivers. The device I have connected is a Marantz SR5008 receiver.
I ended up wiping the disk and installing GalliumOS instead, which is designed to work well with Chrome* hardware. After a GalliumOS clean install everything works perfectly!
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HDMI audio option after ubuntu update0