Android Allow for video OSD playback controls to be linked with "Play/Pause"...
Heart 
Long story short, my feature suggestion is kind of simple...

Currently when we press "pause" on our remote's in Kodi...we get a limited seek bar with no other playback/video buttons

In the future...please add an option so that hitting the pause button also brings up the full video playback "OSD" (not sure the terminology) with all buttons... 

Now let me give you the "long story" about why this is being requested...

I have Kodi Matrix running on an Nvidia Shield Pro (Android) with their remote.

One annoying thing about Kodi's video playback controls is that they're segregated between two activation methods...
1) Play/Pause button on remote = Seek bar with no extended buttons or options
2) Okay button on remote = Full video buttons (and seek bar)

It's awkward both mentally and physically to travel up & down different parts of the remote...for essentially the same task. 
My mind naturally gravitates to the "play/pause" button on the remote...expecting it to pause & present the full video playback controls.
The "OK" button is unlabeled and in another area of the remote that makes it hard for the thumb to travel. 

There's currently no way to get the "play/pause" button to do both (pause video when pressed, and bring up the OSD with full video controls).

I've tried the Key Mapping add-on. Let's set aside that it doesn't work on the remote's particular "play/pause" button (works on all other buttons).
Even if it worked...it would only bring up the playback controls OSD...you'd still have to hit the relevant OSD button to pause (sounds simple, but irritating to the mind when constantly done).

I've also asked my favorite skin developer (Bart from Amber) if this can be done with "Skin programming".
But he pointed out no skin currently does this & is not sure if Kodi is even capable of such a feature currently.

Thanks for hearing me out!
I think the reason this has never been developed is that Play/Pause should do exactly that, so there is no need for the OSD buttons. If you pause via the OSD then as you say the buttons are there, which makes sense.

I'd say you'd be better off figuring out why the Play/Pause doesn't work rather than trying to get these OSD buttons added, because the functionality you are asking for doesn't really make any sense.

If you turn on Debugging and press the Play/Pause key it should give you the correct id to map it to, and you can add it via a gen.xml file. I see no reason why it wouldn't work unless it doesn't give you an id.
This would also almost certainly be a skin feature, not a core feature (which is what this section is for).
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2021-06-16, 20:51)FXB78 Wrote: I think the reason this has never been developed is that Play/Pause should do exactly that, so there is no need for the OSD buttons. If you pause via the OSD then as you say the buttons are there, which makes sense.

I'd say you'd be better off figuring out why the Play/Pause doesn't work rather than trying to get these OSD buttons added, because the functionality you are asking for doesn't really make any sense.

If you turn on Debugging and press the Play/Pause key it should give you the correct id to map it to, and you can add it via a gen.xml file. I see no reason why it wouldn't work unless it doesn't give you an id.

In my context, I have an "international" audience with different audio track/subtitle requirements.
Lots of my content is weirdly stretched out and requires me to manually set stuff like "4:3".
So I mostly pause to access the video OSD.
Hope that makes more sense now.

Another point in defense of my suggestion...
How does it "make sense" (your terminology) that when you access the video OSD in the current manner...the video still keeps playing.
The user is clearly in a "pause" mentality - seeking to tweak something in the video - with the intention of returning to it after.
Yet the default behavior is for the content to play & progress ahead.  

Yes, you can just hit the pause button after initiating the menu.
It's not a big deal when you only access the OSD once in a while.
But in my context, I'm accessing it constantly...and that little extra step adds up & gets kind of annoying.

That's why I asked for the option.

==========

In regards to the key mapping, thanks for the tip about debugging!
(2021-06-16, 21:44)DarrenHill Wrote: This would also almost certainly be a skin feature, not a core feature (which is what this section is for).

So if a skin maker wanted to put OSD buttons on the simplified seek bar (not the original OSD) that's possible?
The skin maker I asked looked into it sincerely, and didn't seem to think it was possible.
That's why I figured I'd suggest it here.
It just needs a Visibility condition of Player.Paused adding to the relevant section in the skin xml files for the OSD.
Actually it may not be as straight forward as I first thought if the buttons are defined in VideoOSD.xml, it should certainly be possible however it could be the case that the buttons need to be defined in another xml e.g. VideoFullscreen.xml

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Allow for video OSD playback controls to be linked with "Play/Pause"...0