• 14(current)
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
(2024-04-08, 09:39)wsnipex Wrote:
(2024-04-07, 17:31)gargamon Wrote: Hi,
It looks like there's a new version of kodi. V21 or Omega. The kodi.tv site links to some Ubuntu nonsense called Flatpak to do the install. Where and when will there be a .deb available?
Thanks.

Flatpak has nothing to do with ubuntu. It is a distro independent packaging format with sandboxing.

I'll wait for the deb, thanks. Flatpak looks like another version of, what was it, snap?
Just to report AV1 hardware decoding success with Kodi 21 flatpak on my N100 home server. Even HDR10 seems to work although I am not clear on how to confirm this, at least HDR content now gets detected and there is an option in the setting to activate support.

Huge kudos to the people that are putting the kodi flatpak together. I could launch it from a systemd service, same as I was doing with the kodi binary before, in GBM mode / standalone, with no X11 nor wayland, no desktop environment. This is on ubuntu 23.10. The flatpak comes with all the binary addons included, custom ffmpeg etc, so you get the developer-intended kodi experience out of the box. So much better than the distro packages for standalone use cases, it's awesome.
Hi,

my solution to install on debian is.... format an install arch linux which is really up to date (I also do it on my desktop to have kde plasma 6) !

Arch install
boot to archlinux usb key
command to install is "archinstall"
install in english (need for remote)
just xorg / no audio system (alsa will be installed with kodi)
add a user "kodi"
don't forget to copy network setting from install

After reboot :
loadkeys fr (if you are french ;-) )
su
pacman -Suy   (update all)
pacman -S openssh
systemctl start sshd
systemctl enable sshd

Now from remote ssh :

we need to install yay to have contribution packages:

sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel git
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/yay.git
cd yay
makepkg -si

kodi install :

sudo pacman -S kodi

No problem to make kodi auto start at boot :

yay kodi-standalone-service
sudo systemctl start kodi-x11
sudo systemctl enable kodi-x11

and somes addons if need

yay kodi-addon-pvr-hts
yay kodi-addon-inputstream-adaptive-git

look here : (.git are compiled from master)
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages?K=kodi

work fine with quick installation and up to date kodi ;-)
Kodi v21 Omega for Debian 12 bookworm is now in backports www.deb-multimedia.org. I know it's an unofficial repository, but it works great and doesn't install a ton of unnecessary stuff like Flatpack.
Update on v21 situation

I have prepared v21 upload prior to official release but Debian goes under the most extensive transition in its history and all uploads are stuck for months.
This means I can not upload bookworm-backports too because v21 can not reach testing / trixie.

The transition in Debian aims to solve Year 2038 datetime problem for 32bit architectures but affects nearly hslf of Debian packages (~40.000 packagee to be sure).

I sm eorking with Debian colleagues to solve this,issue and bring new Kodi to Debian testing.
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread0