• 10(current)
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
@mirtouf Can you try running this test for me?

shell:

ffplay -codec:v av1 -i Sparks-5994fps-AV1-10bit-1920x1080-2194kbps.mp4

By default ffplay picks libdav1d for software decoding but Kodi pucks av1 for HW one. My device does not support HW AV1 decoding so I must rely on you.

Thankz!
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
Hi Basil,

I do not understand the message when launching ffplay (repeated ad lib):
Code:
[av1 @ 0x7f2dd8008100] Your platform doesn't suppport hardware accelerated AV1 decoding.
[av1 @ 0x7f2dd8008100] Failed to get pixel format.
[av1 @ 0x7f2dd8008100] Missing Sequence Header.

because I have an entry for AV1 decoding:
Code:
vainfo
error: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is invalid or not set in the environment.
error: can't connect to X server!
libva info: VA-API version 1.17.0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_17
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.17 (libva 2.12.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Intel iHD driver for Intel® Gen Graphics - 23.1.1 ()
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc
VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointStats
VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointEncPicture
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileVP8Version0_3 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileVP9Profile1 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP9Profile1 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileVP9Profile2 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP9Profile2 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileVP9Profile3 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVP9Profile3 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileHEVCMain12 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain422_10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain422_12 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain444 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain444 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileHEVCMain444_10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCMain444_10 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileHEVCMain444_12 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCSccMain : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCSccMain : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileHEVCSccMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCSccMain10 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileHEVCSccMain444 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCSccMain444 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP
VAProfileAV1Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCSccMain444_10 : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileHEVCSccMain444_10 : VAEntrypointEncSliceLP

Is it a detection issue?
bump?
Sorry for delay @mirtouf but it looks we'll need a live debugging session on your PC to check the issue. I can also build 21 Alpha 2 against ffmpeg 6 and let  you test it but this will require picking experimental builds (and I am not sure it fixes the issue).
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
Hi,

You can PM me the dates and times that will suit you and the softwares you would like to use.
Kodi 20 as supplied with Debian 12 (bookworm) is giving me some trouble - the Esc key is not doing anything. It could annoy on Kodi 19.1 on bullseye, jumping 8fairly randomly to the top or going up one level, but now it does nothing. Why would that be? I can find no other easy way without using Kore on my phone.
Just checked on 20.2 with X11 (full-screen): Esc key properly goes backward, similar to <-- (arrow back) key in Kore. Do you use Wayland or X11?
I am running "Kodi from Debian" using Debian 12 (Bookworm) on an Intel Processor N100 (Alder Lake-N). The only "non-standard" thing about my installation is that I'm running kernel 6.4.0-0.deb12.2-amd64 installed from the bookworm-backports repository. The problem I have is that though H264 video plays perfectly, H265 video is jerky. I realise that Bookworm is using an older (20.1) release of Kodi, and therefore my problem may have already been fixed in Kodi 20.2. Therefore, before I embark on troubleshooting the issue, I think it makes sense to be using the latest release of Kodi. With this in mind, I thought of upgrading to Debian Testing (Trixie). Unfortunately, Trixie does not have the kodi-inputstream-adaptive package, which is essential for the Youtube plugin to work. Interestingly, that package is available again in Debian Unstable (Sid), but I'm reluctant to upgrade to Sid because I don't want to deal with potential breakage.

So, my question to you guys is whether I can go along and upgrade to Trixie and be confident that I can then install Sid's kodi-inputstream-adaptive on Trixie. Or would it not work?
To answer my own question, I did upgrade to Trixie. The jerky playback problem with some H265 files remained though. I was advised elsewhere to try Libreelec, since they ship a patched version of ffmpeg that fixes some problems with H265 files. I tried out a recent Libreelec nightly build and the problem did indeed go away.
Is Kodi on Debian 12 (Bookworm) on ARM supported? "on ARM" being the real question here, I suppose.
Contemplating to run it on an Odroid N2+..
(2023-10-09, 19:15)simba82 Wrote: Is Kodi on Debian 12 (Bookworm) on ARM supported? "on ARM" being the real question here, I suppose.
Contemplating to run it on an Odroid N2+..

i think a simple google search would have been useful -

https://packages.debian.org/stable/video/kodi

look at the bottom of the page, it is available for arm64 and armel - ARM
I always get a bit confused here. Because, yes on the one hand I see the Debian package info listing Kodi with ARM support.
On the other hand the Kodi docs don't list ARM as being supported (https://kodi.wiki/view/Linux), with exceptions for specific platforms such as the Pi.
(2023-10-10, 09:05)simba82 Wrote: I always get a bit confused here. Because, yes on the one hand I see the Debian package info listing Kodi with ARM support.
On the other hand the Kodi docs don't list ARM as being supported (https://kodi.wiki/view/Linux), with exceptions for specific platforms such as the Pi.

you are confusing yourself -

the link you are reading hasn't been updated since 2020 or earlier - https://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=Linux&action=history

unless you count the one from Biot in 2022 - https://kodi.wiki/view/Special:Contributions/Biot which if you look at the diff https://kodi.wiki/index.php?title=Linux&...did=241842 was just a typo fix the rest was removal

Team-Kodi* doesn't support Debian, Debian supports Debian

however, Team-Kodi will support all Kodi installations to the best of their ability when it falls in their control
- if it was compiled by Debian (or someone else) it is not in their control but you can still come to this forum for support

then if you get into addons support, that is all done by the addon Developer themselves - but same thing applies for support on this forum

so when you are asking if "Kodi on Debian Bookworm" is supported, yes Debian is supporting it as part of their stable packages
I hit a little snag.. On a fresh Debian 12, as root installed:
Code:
apt update
apt install kodi

But oddly, this did not create a kodi user (and as such, no Kodi folder with config).
Otherwise, it seemed to install fine, and seems to work fine (preliminary check: it plays video..)

Did I miss a step somewhere?
(2023-10-10, 23:16)simba82 Wrote: But oddly, this did not create a kodi user (and as such, no Kodi folder with config).

does not create a kodi user as in "useradd"

when kodi is first run, it will create a configuration folder in the home folder of the user it was run as ~/.kodi

(2023-10-10, 23:16)simba82 Wrote: Did I miss a step somewhere?

i dont believe so if everything is working (kodi starts + plays video), just need to locate the ~/.kodi folder
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread0