• 13(current)
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
Hello,
Thank you very much for your insightful response. It's great to hear from someone with a similar setup, and your advice on using GBM for a lightweight configuration is extremely helpful. The information about creating a systemd service for launching Kodi with the GBM option also sounds like a practical solution.
I have a follow-up question regarding backups: Once I have Kodi set up on Debian using your suggested method, would I be able to restore a backup from a Kodi installation that was running on Ubuntu? My main concern is to retain the addons and interface settings. Are there any compatibility issues I should be aware of, or is the process straightforward?
Thanks again for your help. I appreciate the time you've taken to share your knowledge.
NP. Generally yes, you can move your ~/.kodi folder from system to system and that way you move over your full kodi config including the addon configuration. You will need to install the addons in the new system but the addons will pick up your config once you restart kodi after moving the folder. I have done that recently. Just be aware that there are things that may break, e.g. if paths that you used e.g. for your sources.xml or advancedsettings.xml files change in the new build, so your mileage may vary. If you are familiar with you can inspect/edit the configuration files and adjust them prior to restarting kodi. Worst case you can always rename .kodi to .kodi.old and restart kodi to get a clean environment and then pick and choose which config files you want to move over.
Hello,
I successfully moved my Kodi configuration to the new system, and after reinstalling the addons, they picked up the existing configuration as expected.
However, I encountered a couple of issues: the power menu no longer displays the shutdown or restart options, and I've noticed that the video acceleration settings (like VDPAU, VAAPI, or DXVA2) are completely absent from the player settings menu.
How I can resolve these issues?
Thanks a lot
@Hoge974 Please read this Wiki entry carefully - especially groups.
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
Hello @basilgello,
Thank you for your advice regarding the video acceleration settings - following your guidance, that part is now resolved.
However, I'm still facing an issue with the power menu in Kodi: the shutdown and restart options are not displayed.
I'm considering following the instructions on PolicyKit configuration as suggested in this Debian wiki page (https://wiki.debian.org/PolicyKit) to address this problem.
Do you have any advice or confirmation that this might be the right approach? Or are there other settings or configurations I should check?
Best
Thank you! First I didn't thought you wrote this for me: How on earth a service helps me?
With the answer from htpcero #180 finally I've finished the puzzle.

Thank you very much for both of you!
Please find the "# Kodi Power Menu" part on this page. Please don't forget this page is partially for Pi, so be cautious what you use from here.

There are two approaches. The 1st is for Ubuntu I suppose (it uses polkit which is only on Ubuntu), but the second way worked for me:

$ sudo systemctl unmask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target
$ sudo nano /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d/10-kodi.rules
Code:
polkit.addRule(function(action, subject) {
    polkit.log("action=" + action);
    polkit.log("subject=" + subject);
    if (action.id.indexOf("org.freedesktop.login1.") == 0) {
        return polkit.Result.YES;
    }
    if (action.id.indexOf("org.freedesktop.udisks.") == 0) {
    }
    if (action.id.indexOf("org.freedesktop.upower.") == 0) {
    }
});

Ctrl+X (write out), Y (overwrite=yes), Enter

Thats it. I don't know what are these lines actually do. But they worked for me.
Hi everyone!
This solution was a success for me as well! A huge thank you to everyone here for the support and guidance. On a slightly different note, I'm currently facing a bit of a hiccup with the unofficial Spotify addon. I understand this issue isn't connected to Debian, and I'm aware there's a specific thread for this, so I'll be sure to ask there for any advice or shared experiences.
Thanks again for all the help!
20.3 is in unstable/sid. Hope in 2 days it will reach testing. Addons for 20.x will reach testing in 4 days.

21.0~beta2+today will go experimental today. There will be mess with NEW but I will try to push it all through new as fast as possible.
Maintainer of Kodi from Debian | Got an issue with Kodi from Debian? Report it here: Kodi from Debian - Support Thread
Hi, I just switched from an ARM gadget to a debian 12 machine on intel N100. (AsRock N100DC-ITX). 
It works so far, I had to add
Option "TearFree" "true"
to a Device section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf 
to get rid of tearing and disable in Kodi to sync to the monitor device. But: I got one old issue back that I had ages ago on Kodi 12 or so: every 41 or 42 seconds there's a microstutter playing back 23.96fps  content.
I *think* back then I solved this by adding custom modelines, but a) not sure and b) haven't done this so long I simply don't know anymore how to do it. 

So before I start unearthing ancient Linux lore, how should I address this issue today?
@DexterF
I'm using a fix for my Asrock J5040 mainboard for microstutters.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo 800 > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/drm/card0/gt_min_freq_mhz

You can try this for a sh-file at systemstart by setting this entry in crontab:

Code:
@reboot     root    /root/./gtminfreq.sh

I would be interested to know if this helps you.
Asrock J5040 powered by Ubuntu 23.10 and KODI
I'll give it a shot anyway, but the issue is clearly that the standard modes render full 24fps, so playing back 23.976 means every 1000/(24-23.976) seconds = 41.67 seconds a full frame is missing, causing the image to stutter. 

With this in mind : https://xkcd.com/963/ I'll see if I can get a Modeline in easily.
Hi,
It looks like there's a new version of kodi. V21 or Omega. The kodi.tv site links to some Ubuntu nonsense called Flatpak to do the install. Where and when will there be a .deb available?
Thanks.
(2024-04-07, 17:31)gargamon Wrote: Hi,
It looks like there's a new version of kodi. V21 or Omega. The kodi.tv site links to some Ubuntu nonsense called Flatpak to do the install. Where and when will there be a .deb available?
Thanks.

Just wait for it to show up in the official repos;
(2024-02-04, 15:30)basilgello Wrote: 20.3 is in unstable/sid. Hope in 2 days it will reach testing. Addons for 20.x will reach testing in 4 days.

21.0~beta2+today will go experimental today. There will be mess with NEW but I will try to push it all through new as fast as possible.
The full 21.0 will surely follow soon.
(2024-04-07, 17:31)gargamon Wrote: Hi,
Thanks.

Flatpak has nothing to do with ubuntu. It is a distro independent packaging format with sandboxing.
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi from Debian - Support Thread0