v19 Start Kodi without TV on
(2021-08-12, 13:30)popcornmix Wrote: the edid needs to be in /lib/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin (as error message says).
Are you sure you didn't put it in /lib/firmware/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin?

what does

Code:
ls -l /lib/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin
show?
Hi popcornmix,

I was also checking this in the beginning, the edid is correctly in /lib/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin.
Whe using your above command I get
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Aug 12 12:49 /lib/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin
Does this need to be changed to user osmc?

Thank you and best regards

korona
(2021-08-12, 14:21)korona Wrote:
Code:

The size is 0. Make sure when you capture the edid you are in a state the tv is working.
(i.e. ensure the tv is plugged in and powered on when Pi is powered on).

Code:
sudo cp /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid  /tmp
ls -l /tmp/edid
should have a non-zero length (usually 256 bytes).
(2021-08-12, 14:38)popcornmix Wrote:
(2021-08-12, 14:21)korona Wrote:
Code:

The size is 0. Make sure when you capture the edid you are in a state the tv is working.
(i.e. ensure the tv is plugged in and powered on when Pi is powered on).

Code:
sudo cp /sys/devices/platform/gpu/drm/card0/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid  /tmp
ls -l /tmp/edid
should have a non-zero length (usually 256 bytes).

Hi popcornmix,

Blush  sorry, that was indeed very dumb of myself ... I did the rewrite of the EDID when the TV was off ... not very clever.
I have now rewritten it and it now works like a charm Smile thank you very much for all your support, I would have never been able to do this on my own.

I will post a step-by-step guide later this week so anyone else also having this issue can benefit from it, too.

Thanks again and best regards

korona
Hi,
as promised please find a step-by-step guide on how to hardcode the EDID for OSMC with Kodi 19. It is based on this thread and all the very good input given, especially the scripts provided by Hias:
1) Log in to your Pi via SSH when OSMC and your TV are on and working fine
2) Enter
Code:
cd /sys/class/drm
3) Enter
Code:
dir
to list folders in this directory
4) Look for folders that have the following structure: card?-* (with ? usually being a number)
5) Go into each folder with command ‚cd‘ (I recommend to start with one containing ‚HDMI‘ in the name) and open the document ‚status‘ and note down the folder name where the file contains the word „connected“
Example:
Code:
cd card0-HDMI-A-1
nano status
6) Once you have found the correct folder, copy the file ‚edid‘ in this folder to /lib/firmware/edid/ and rename it:
Code:
sudo cp edid /lib/firmware/edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin
7) Open the cmdline.txt in folder /boot:
Code:
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
8) This should look something like this (‚xxx‘ means that this text is not relevant now; y needs to be replaced by the name of the folder you noted down in step 5, but with the ‚card0-‘ removed):
Code:
root=xxx rootfstype=xxx rootwait quiet osmcdev=xxx drm.edid_firmware=y:edid/edid-y video=y:D
Example (folder name from step 5 is ‚card0-HDMI-A-1‘ -> y is ‚HDMI-A-1‘):
Code:
root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet osmcdev=rbp2 drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/edid-HDMI-A-1.bin video=HDMI-A-1:D
9) You should be done now 😊 Fine to reboot

You can also modify the scripts of Hias referred to in this thread, but I have understood that some parts are not relevant for OSMC ... but it has described it much more elegant than I did in this guide. 

Hope this is helpful to others, I will also refer to this thread in the OSMC forum so anyone stumbling across the same issue can look into it.

Thank you and best regards

korona

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start Kodi without TV on0