Solved Low Musicbrainz (Picard) mp3 ratings are misinterpreted
Exporting the song playback history from Kodi creates an xml file with song playcount, lastplayed AND user rating data - all the transient song data that does not come from the music file itself (well user rating is read from tag, but could have been modified via GUI). You can then import this xml file onto a a newly populated music library and it will apply the playcount, lastplayed AND user ratings. It matches what is in the xml to the library on a number of criteria and so can accommodate changed file names or folders, and will work for music with and without Musicbrainz ids, although mbid make it easy.

It sounds like you were going to do some direct db manipulation with SQL, you don't need to Smile
(2021-08-28, 13:03)DaveBlake Wrote: Exporting the song playback history from Kodi creates an xml file with song playcount, lastplayed AND user rating data - all the transient song data that does not come from the music file itself (well user rating is read from tag, but could have been modified via GUI). You can then import this xml file onto a a newly populated music library and it will apply the playcount, lastplayed AND user ratings. It matches what is in the xml to the library on a number of criteria and so can accommodate changed file names or folders, and will work for music with and without Musicbrainz ids, although mbid make it easy.

It sounds like you were going to do some direct db manipulation with SQL, you don't need to Smile
Thanks! But is there an option to exclude those which are already rated? If not, my new ratings from the the files would be overridden with the old values (many of the new ratings were set after the upgrade). Then it would probably be better to export and update per script (only those with userrating < 1).
(2021-08-28, 13:34)ernstlx Wrote: Thanks! But is there an option to exclude those which are already rated? If not, my new ratings from the the files would be overridden with the old values (many of the new ratings were set after the upgrade). Then it would probably be better to export and update per script (only those with userrating < 1).
Ah, no. It allows for playcount and lastplayed and only merges if the imported value is greater than the existing, but user rating is simply applied when > 0 regardless of what value it is imported over.

Another option would be to export the song playback history and edit the xml file before importing, either removing the entry for those songs or setting user rating to 0 (that will not wipe values read from music files).

Honestly I would probably use SQL myself, it was how I maintained playcounts etc. between fresh installations or when renaming files and folders before I created the song playback history export. I have it on my todo list to make export facility work with even more item filtering so you can select more precisily what gets exported, even create nfo for a single album or artist. It is a balance act between power/flexibilty verses complexity.
Without sql it would probably not have been possible to rate all my music. When i did so, a few years ago, it was around 2000 albums. Rating them in a csv was very quick. I made very rough ratings, sometimes per artist, and adjusted them later while listening. I will probably need them for some time until the new ratings are complete... Big Grin

Creating a nfos for a single album or artist would be great, although I mostly miss this feature for my music videos. But it should remain "easy to use". Inexperienced users will appreciate that. So far, the usability of Kodi is great!

(Correcting the xml is probably of no advantage.)
www.TheAudioDB.com carries user ratings for albums and tracks.

I would be great if you could add your ratings there as well.

They are accisble from the API per user as well so could be a nice backup for yourself while helping the ratings overall on the site )
(2021-09-09, 11:23)docwra Wrote: www.TheAudioDB.com carries user ratings for albums and tracks.

I would be great if you could add your ratings there as well.

They are accisble from the API per user as well so could be a nice backup for yourself while helping the ratings overall on the site )
Thanks for this information.

Honestly, I would prefer to keep my ratings as private as possible. It's a very personal thing. I don't know if giving mostly low ratings is an improvement to the database. But maybe I could give ratings for those albums that I generally like. It wouldn't be a lot of effort to do the same on TheAudioDB, even if the albums still have to be imported.
Kodi v19, Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, Music tagging with MusicBrainz Picard 2.3.1
Going back to the initial matter:

I've heard that there are plans in Musicbrainz Picard to introduce configurable "presets for rating compatibility" which should solve my problem. I don't think I will live with my current workaround until this is implemented.

(@docwra - I started with one album I rated today: https://www.theaudiodb.com/album/2172922)
Kodi v19, Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, Music tagging with MusicBrainz Picard 2.3.1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low Musicbrainz (Picard) mp3 ratings are misinterpreted0