Kodi 19.0 on Android randomly crashing during playback
I am running Kodi 19.0 on an old phone with Android 7.0, exclusively for playing music to a Bluetooth speaker. At random intervals (sometimes every few minutes, sometimes not at all in a day), the app will completely crash and close during playback. This only seems to happen during playback, and not when Kodi is idle.

The relevant line from the log seems to be:
log:
2021-08-31 11:32:17.415 T:10875 FATAL : SqliteDatabase: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Database/Textures13.db is read only
(full log)

I did find the SQLite database at the path indicated, but since this is on a non-rooted Android device, I don't know how to change file permissions (or even if that's possible). My first instinct is that this is a bug, but it could be that there's some problem with my configuration.
(2021-08-31, 21:21)brjaga Wrote: My first instinct is that this is a bug, but it could be that there's some problem with my configuration.

It's not likely a generic bug in Kodi, otherwise all Android devices would have a problem with Kodi.
It could be Motorola's Android version being a d!ck, have you tried if Kodi 19.1 has the same problem?
And sure, changing folder permissions manually with a decent file manager could be a solution.
(2021-09-01, 04:26)Klojum Wrote: It's not likely a generic bug in Kodi, otherwise all Android devices would have a problem with Kodi.
It could be Motorola's Android version being a d!ck, have you tried if Kodi 19.1 has the same problem?
And sure, changing folder permissions manually with a decent file manager could be a solution.

I was able to update to 19.1 so we'll see if that solves the problem. As for file permissions, I ran the following in Termux:
bash:
~ $ cd storage/shared/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Database/
~/.../userdata/Database $ ls -l Textures13.db
-rw-rw---- 1 u0_a226 everybody 507904 Sep  1 09:32 Textures13.db
~/.../userdata/Database $ chmod 0666 Textures13.db
~/.../userdata/Database $ ls -l Textures13.db
-rw-rw---- 1 u0_a226 everybody 507904 Sep  1 09:32 Textures13.db
So it looks like Termux doesn't actually have permission to chmod files in the "shared" storage; do you have any suggestions for a "decent file manager"? I've mostly used Android's stock file manager, and it doesn't even tell you about file permissions.

In any case, I'm now not sure that unix file permissions are the issue here; it looks like if Kodi has permission to read that file, it should also have permission to write to it, and if it can't read it, I would have expected the error in the log to say so.
Without any crashes for a while, I thought upgrading to 19.1 had solved this issue, but today my Kodi instance is crashing every few minutes again, and the issue still seems to be RO Sqlite databases:

log:
2021-09-07 11:19:11.602 T:15664 FATAL <general>: SqliteDatabase: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/Database/MyMusic82.db is read only
(full log)

According to ls -l in Termux, that file also has permissions 0660.
This problem has for whatever reason been happening more frequently lately, to the point that the Kodi instance on this device is practically unusable. I tried switching to using MySQL for the database, but then I realized that Textures*.db would still be a SQLite database, and that seems to be the biggest offender in the logs. I tried deleting the textures file from within Termux to see if that would solve the problem, but it was getting re-created and then I was still getting the error. I'm not an Android expert, but I don't think it has separate users the way a normal *nix distro would, so if I was able to delete the file in Termux, I don't see why Kodi wouldn't be able to write to it, and in any case, I have to assume that Kodi was the one that re-created the file in the first place. Any other thoughts on potential workarounds I could try?
The Textures13.db file is the local card wallet for all cached thumbnails. It will always be recreated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19.0 on Android randomly crashing during playback0