Transfer Kodi To New Drive
Is there an easy way to move Kodi from C: to E:, while keeping all settings/addons intact? 

I'm getting very limited on space on the main windows drive and need to clean house.

Cheers.
(2021-09-02, 06:24)zubbs1 Wrote: Is there an easy way to move Kodi from C: to E:,
Yes. Install Kodi in Portable Mode on your E:\ drive... https://kodi.wiki/view/Portable_mode

From your existing C:\drive setup, copy your \Roaming\Kodi folder to the Portable location and rename it portable_data...
See 5.2... Backup (wiki)
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2021-09-02, 06:37)Karellen Wrote:
(2021-09-02, 06:24)zubbs1 Wrote: Is there an easy way to move Kodi from C: to E:,
Yes. Install Kodi in Portable Mode on your E:\ drive... https://kodi.wiki/view/Portable_mode

From your existing C:\drive setup, copy your \Roaming\Kodi folder to the Portable location and rename it portable_data...
See 5.2... Backup (wiki)
Question: if he installs under E:\ and starts regularly, wouldn't that instance go looking anyway under the Roaming\Kodi folder?

Don't do this until a clear answer is provided, I'm going from memory here and I might be seriously wrong. Don't wanna mess up your installation.

Edit: I think I am right but for the original question Karellen answer makes more sense. The program directory doesn't take a lot of space, the data directory can take several GBs, so it makes sense to moving it that way.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Bullet 6 stipulates in the linked instructions: 

"Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties. In Target: add the switch -p after kodi.exe i.e. "E:\Kodi\kodi.exe" -p and save the change (see image)"

That step is key to avoid the scenario you mentioned.
(2021-09-06, 18:15)OTinley Wrote: Bullet 6 stipulates in the linked instructions: 

"Right-click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties. In Target: add the switch -p after kodi.exe i.e. "E:\Kodi\kodi.exe" -p and save the change (see image)"

That step is key to avoid the scenario you mentioned.
I guess you were replying to me. I know about that. The sense of my post, before the edit, was that to move the program installation one does not need to do anything with the data directory under Roaming. Problem is if the OP is looking to save space on C:\ he actually needs to move the data directory more than the program directory, which is where a portable installation comes in handy.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
Wouldn't the easiest thing to do is move the thumbnails to another drive and put a path substitution in advancedsettings.xml?

<advancedsettings>

<pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>special://profile/Thumbnails/</from>
         <to>E:\Kodi_Thumbnails\</to>
       </substitute>
     </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

The thumbnails are what take up all of the space.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Transfer Kodi To New Drive0