• 8(current)
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max
Hi,
i have a question for you. I can play HDR videos play with my Fire stick 4K Max only in 8 bits on my LG Oled C9 tv. The colorspace is also interesting 4:2:2.
With another player (Coreelec based Kodi) is working fine the HDR 10bit and i got 4:4:4.

I have tried to install another video player software (like VLC) to Fire stick, but i got still 8 bit 4:2:2.

On the LG:
HDMI Ultra HD deep colour - Enabled

On the Fire stick:
Video resolution - Auto
Match Original Framerate - On
Dynamic Range setting - Adaptive
Color Format - Auto

The same video source on players showing this on LG diagnostic screen:
Corelec based Kodi:
Fire 4k Max with Kodi:
(2022-03-21, 17:19)snpeter Wrote: Hi,
i have a question for you. I can play HDR videos play with my Fire stick 4K Max only in 8 bits on my LG Oled C9 tv. The colorspace is also interesting 4:2:2.
With another player (Coreelec based Kodi) is working fine the HDR 10bit and i got 4:4:4.

I have tried to install another video player software (like VLC) to Fire stick, but i got still 8 bit 4:2:2.

On the LG:
HDMI Ultra HD deep colour - Enabled

On the Fire stick:
Video resolution - Auto
Match Original Framerate - On
Dynamic Range setting - Adaptive
Color Format - Auto

The same video source on players showing this on LG diagnostic screen:
Corelec based Kodi:
Fire 4k Max with Kodi:

How weird. 4:2:2 only supports 12-bit in 4K 24-60Hz refresh in HDMI 2.0 - 4:2:2 8-bit shouldn't be an HDMI-supported format in a 4K resolution?  (Unless your LG is checking LSBs for content and 8-bit = 8-bit in 12-bit?)

I have googled few days and the result, LG can display only 8 bit on this service menu at 4:2:2 colorspace, even if the source is 12bit.
I don't find any posssibility yet to show from the stick side, which format (depth, chroma) is going to send to TV. Kodi "O" key, and Fire os System X-Ray don't show this also.
Hi,  Just purchased, connected directly to DENON x1300 amp

I keep getting audio dropouts on pass through, even 720p stereo, could someone please let me know  what firestick and kodi audio setting works best to get the best possible sound without the dropouts.
how well does this Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max play local mkv files SMB shared via Wifi that is 4k 10bit HDR HEVC with 8 channel audio?
(2022-05-30, 10:35)madmax2 Wrote: how well does this Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max play local mkv files SMB shared via Wifi that is 4k 10bit HDR HEVC with 8 channel audio?

WIFI adapter in this box is not good. I have WIFI6 router 10m away and I'm experiencing issue with buffering.  I purchased external ethernet usb adapter and now my trasfers are approx 300mbit/s, while WIFI AX should be faster. Besides that and lack of HD audio, this Stick is a nice piece of hardware for the price below 40$.
best,
Salata
(2022-06-22, 10:01)salata Wrote:
(2022-05-30, 10:35)madmax2 Wrote: how well does this Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max play local mkv files SMB shared via Wifi that is 4k 10bit HDR HEVC with 8 channel audio?

WIFI adapter in this box is not good. I have WIFI6 router 10m away and I'm experiencing issue with buffering.  I purchased external ethernet usb adapter and now my trasfers are approx 300mbit/s, while WIFI AX should be faster. Besides that and lack of HD audio, this Stick is a nice piece of hardware for the price below 40$.
so if you use ethernet 
it can playback 4k 10bit HDR HEVC smoothly (ie no buffering, no blackscreen, no video artefacts, no audio sync issues)?

I am using passthrough (Dolby digital AC3 transcoding) for 5.1 audio , ie HDMI to the TV, then TV SPDIF to the receiver...
would this have any issues?

How much you paid for the ethernet usb adapter?

Are you also playing the files via SMB share from another PC and added these movies to your kodi library on the Fire TV?
(2022-06-23, 00:56)madmax2 Wrote: so if you use ethernet 
it can playback 4k 10bit HDR HEVC smoothly (ie no buffering, no blackscreen, no video artefacts, no audio sync issues)?
yes, zero issues
(2022-06-23, 00:56)madmax2 Wrote: I am using passthrough (Dolby digital AC3 transcoding) for 5.1 audio , ie HDMI to the TV, then TV SPDIF to the receiver...
I see no reason why you should have, but wouldn't be better connect stick to the AVR directly and AVR to TV?

I have very similar to this, but all based on RTL8153 should work. I have also connected 64GB USB flash drive. You also need OTG Cable for TV Stick to connect the adapter and power to firetv. You will be limited by the speed of usb 2.0, but 300mbit was more than enough for my 50+GB releases.
best,
Salata
(2022-06-23, 14:40)salata Wrote:
(2022-06-23, 00:56)madmax2 Wrote: so if you use ethernet 
yes, zero issues
(2022-06-23, 00:56)madmax2 Wrote: I am using passthrough (Dolby digital AC3 transcoding) for 5.1 audio , ie HDMI to the TV, then TV SPDIF to the receiver...
I see no reason why you should have, but wouldn't be better connect stick to the AVR directly and AVR to TV?

I have very similar to this, but all based on RTL8153 should work. I have also connected 64GB USB flash drive. You also need OTG Cable for TV Stick to connect the adapter and power to firetv. You will be limited by the speed of usb 2.0, but 300mbit was more than enough for my 50+GB releases.

It may well be that @madmax2 has a legacy AVR which has Toslink SPDIF inputs but not HDMI?
(2022-06-25, 11:35)noggin Wrote: It may well be that @madmax2 has a legacy AVR which has Toslink SPDIF inputs but not HDMI?

In this case HDMI audio extractors to the rescue.
With the upcoming Prime Day I'm wondering if the 4K Max Stick is currently the best option for Kodi via Wifi. I just recently upgraded my router to Wifi 6 so I plan to combine this with the 4k max. Currently, I have a Fire TV Box 2nd Gen from 2015 with Kodi which runs ok, but had some problems in the last weeks after the updates. So would the 4k Max be the best option or is Fire TV Box 2 enough or should I go for the latest cube? Currently, I only have a very good Full HD TV from back then, but I guess I will upgrade to 4k or 8k soon.  

Thanks!
(2022-07-05, 00:18)SKYY Wrote: With the upcoming Prime Day I'm wondering if the 4K Max Stick is currently the best option for Kodi via Wifi. I just recently upgraded my router to Wifi 6 so I plan to combine this with the 4k max. Currently, I have a Fire TV Box 2nd Gen from 2015 with Kodi which runs ok, but had some problems in the last weeks after the updates. So would the 4k Max be the best option or is Fire TV Box 2 enough or should I go for the latest cube? Currently, I only have a very good Full HD TV from back then, but I guess I will upgrade to 4k or 8k soon.  

Thanks!

Same here. Ordered it on Prima Day. Moving away from raspberry pi and other DIY media players Smile Gettting old Big Grin

Still have to figure out how audio works.
Because with default fire tv and kodi settings audio stutters with Kodi.

Changed fire tv output to pcm - no stutter.

Will do more tests and come back here with questions Smile
bat0nas
HW:
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB + Denon AVR-1912
SW: Raspbian + Kodi
       (always latest version and up to date)
Quick question:

Fire stick video config - 1080p 60Hz.
Kodi player config - always adjust TV fresh rate if the source is different.

But Kodi doesn't change refresh rate to 24Hz.

Am I doing something wrong?

I can change manually with remote (reverse and up buttons). But I want it to change automatically.
Hi. I just joined the forum.
I've just installed the Amazon TV fire stick 4k and then downloaded the kodi app.
I'm a bit stuck on the PVR that I'm being asked to choose as an add-on and configure it.
Is there a guide anywhere to show me how to do this on the fire stick?
Thanks
(2022-07-28, 15:21)toprobroy Wrote: Hi. I just joined the forum.
I've just installed the Amazon TV fire stick 4k and then downloaded the kodi app.
I'm a bit stuck on the PVR that I'm being asked to choose as an add-on and configure it.
Is there a guide anywhere to show me how to do this on the fire stick?
Thanks

What PVR back-end are you running elsewhere on your network?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2021 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max0