Solved Kodi won't start
Just updated to Ubuntu lts20.04. Purged the Kodi and now it won’t start. When I try to start it in terminal I get the following.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'dbiplus::DbErrors' find: ‘/home/xbmc/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied find: ‘/home/xbmc/.dbus’: Permission denied find: ‘/home/xbmc/.gvfs’: Permission denied Crash report available at /home/xbmc/kodi_crashlog-20210919_162457.log]

Crash logs at
https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/QD2MZHR5Hb/
(2021-09-20, 03:44)vslice24 Wrote: find: ‘/home/xbmc/.cache/dconf’: Permission denied find: ‘/home/xbmc/.dbus’: Permission denied

The cause of the problem has nothing to do with Kodi, Kodi can't access it's databases.
Fix your /home/xbmc permissions first and while you are at it you might want to learn when and where to use or not to use sudo.
Hint: /home/xbmc and everything inside should be owned by the user whose $HOME is /home/xbmc, which probably is 'xbmc' (the user) in this case.
After fixing permissions you might want to move or delete /home/xbmc/.kodi and start over so Kodi can recreate databases it needs.
(2021-09-20, 16:37)asavah Wrote: The cause of the problem has nothing to do with Kodi, Kodi can't access it's databases.

I'm not so sure.  If Kodi couldn't access it's db's then you wouldn't get an error returned of no such table: version.  @vslice24 try deleting the Addons33.db in ~/.kodi/userdata/Database when Kodi isn't running and then try re-starting it.

Those permissions do need fixing as well however Wink
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2021-09-20, 19:13)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-09-20, 16:37)asavah Wrote: The cause of the problem has nothing to do with Kodi, Kodi can't access it's databases.

I'm not so sure.  If Kodi couldn't access it's db's then you wouldn't get an error returned of no such table: version.  @vslice24 try deleting the Addons33.db in ~/.kodi/userdata/Database when Kodi isn't running and then try re-starting it.

Those permissions do need fixing as well however Wink

Thanks. I don’t understand how the permissions got messed up. It was working fine before I updated the OS. I will try looking at permissions later when I get home. You guys are referring to just the 3 folder paths listed above correct? Thanks for the input and help
(2021-09-20, 21:30)vslice24 Wrote: You guys are referring to just the 3 folder paths listed above correct?

Yes, however you should be careful before changing permissions blindly.  For instance, on my machine (Ubuntu 20.04.3) ~/.cache/dconf is owned by root.  The other two are owned by my user though.

A quick check can be done in your $HOME directory for any files or directories not owned by your user by executing cd ~/ && ls -alh | grep -v $USER
(2021-09-21, 08:25)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-09-20, 21:30)vslice24 Wrote: You guys are referring to just the 3 folder paths listed above correct?

Yes, however you should be careful before changing permissions blindly.  For instance, on my machine (Ubuntu 20.04.3) ~/.cache/dconf is owned by root.  The other two are owned by my user though.

A quick check can be done in your $HOME directory for any files or directories not owned by your user by executing cd ~/ && ls -alh | grep -v $USER

Yea that’s what I was afraid of as well. Any idea what file kodi is trying to open in the cache folder? I didn’t want to blindly change permissions for the 3 folders to my user.
(2021-09-21, 23:59)vslice24 Wrote: Any idea what file kodi is trying to open in the cache folder?

The error comes from the find command in Kodi's startup script.  When Kodi crashes, the script tries to find a coredump and run it through gdb to get a backtrace. This is added into the crashlog that Kodi creates (if possible). As part of this, find walks your $HOME directory to a depth of 5.  FWIW, my ~/.cache/dconf directory is empty anyway.
(2021-09-22, 08:52)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-09-21, 23:59)vslice24 Wrote:
(2021-09-22, 08:52)black_eagle Wrote:
(2021-09-21, 23:59)vslice24 Wrote: Any idea what file kodi is trying to open in the cache folder?

The error comes from the find command in Kodi's startup script.  When Kodi crashes, the script tries to find a coredump and run it through gdb to get a backtrace. This is added into the crashlog that Kodi creates (if possible). As part of this, find walks your $HOME directory to a depth of 5.  FWIW, my ~/.cache/dconf directory is empty anyway.
So deleting Addon
 Any idea what file kodi is trying to open in the cache folder?

so deleting addons33 fix it. didn't mess with nay permissions of the folders
(2021-09-24, 01:20)vslice24 Wrote: so deleting addons33 fix it. didn't mess with nay permissions of the folders

Fair enough.  Unsure why your addons33.db got corrupted in the first place, but sometimes these things happen unfortunately.  Still, at least you're up and running again.

Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi won't start0