• 10(current)
Release Matrix v19.3 + micro stuttering fix + TrueHD RAW fix (test builds v19.4)
@jogal 
Finally i didn't use your last change on RAW method only cause it's better to have your fantastic Atmos patch on both methods (IEC and RAW).
Unfortunately, i was not able to find a way to fix the a/v sync issue in atmos without modify the common part (Audio Engine).
But i did some changes in the common part to impact only the android platform, no impact with the other plateforms.
Moreover, to solve all the video stutters we have (i still had some stutters with IEC and 1080p/DTS), i did another rollback in Android Audiotrack sink to have the same behavior than the 18.9 which is the latest known stable version for android.
It uses a part of the fritsch's fix too.

For the Atmos fix in common part, i checked the cpu usage on my shield during an 4K/Atmos movie and it's more or less the same load as the 18.9 version.

It's for me, the safiest code i can provide.
It's not risky because it's a part of the 18.9 code which work for most people.
And as there's no one to maintain the current code... it's better to do a partial rollback to the latest stable version until the new code issues have been totally resolved by someone who have time and knowledge (not me).
As explained by fritsch, maybe it will rollback some issues too like "Music Playing in Home-Screen of 5.1 flac will stutter" and it will increase the CPU load as it was before...
but what is the most important function in kodi ? The video player or the audio player ?
I already know that the former android developers won't agree ... but today it's a fact, the current android version is unusable if you want to use passthrough for the best audio experience (Atmos).

My lastest commit is available here
My latest test package for ARM64 can be downoaded here (installation is still done beside your current Kodi, package name is org.xbmc.kodi19)

I will do a PR for the master.... it's up to the Team Kodi now to decide to take care or not.
It's my last commit... as other android developers, i have no time to work on it, i did my best to help.

EDIT : the PR here
How to add the missing label and milestone ?
(2021-11-07, 17:25)supertoto1977 Wrote: @jogal 
Finally i didn't use your last change on RAW method only cause it's better to have your fantastic Atmos patch on both methods (IEC and RAW).
Unfortunately, i was not able to find a way to fix the a/v sync issue in atmos without modify the common part (Audio Engine).
But i did some changes in the common part to impact only the android platform, no impact with the other plateforms.
Moreover, to solve all the video stutters we have (i still had some stutters with IEC and 1080p/DTS), i did another rollback in Android Audiotrack sink to have the same behavior than the 18.9 which is the latest known stable version for android.

For the Atmos fix in common part, i checked the cpu usage on my shield during an 4K/Atmos movie and it's more or less the same load as the 18.9 version.

And as there's no one to maintain the current code... it's better to do a partial rollback to the latest stable version until the new code issues have been totally resolved by someone who have time and knowledge (not me).
As explained by fritsch, maybe it will rollback some issues too like "Music Playing in Home-Screen of 5.1 flac will stutter" and it will increase the CPU load as it was before...
but what is the most important function in kodi ? The video player or the audio player ?
I already know that the former android developers won't agree ... but today it's a fact, the current android version is unusable if you want to use passthrough for the best audio experience (Atmos).

My latest test package for ARM64 can be downoaded here (installation is still done beside your current Kodi, package name is org.xbmc.kodi19)

I will do a PR for the master.... it's up to the Team Kodi now to decide to take care or not.
It's my last commit... as other android developers, i have no time to work on it, i did my best to help.

Hi,

I just tested your latest ARM64 on my Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 connected to A Denon AVR-6500 and a Sony Bravia XG95.
So far no stuttering when watching a 4k HDR Atmos movie.
Thanks for the good work,
(2021-11-07, 17:25)supertoto1977 Wrote: @jogal 

As the owners of three Nvidia Shields, I much appreciate your hard work and fully agree with your conclusion.  Please Team Kodi, use supertoto1977's hard work!  Nobody else has done so much and so thoroughly  Nod

craigr
I own a video engineering firm, ergo I understand video.
Kodi Signal Chain: Nvidia ShieldTV (2019) > Lumagen Radiance PRO (video output) > JVC RS4100 Projector, Paladini DCR, 2.40AR 128" Wide STK1.3 G4
                                                                                                                           (audio output) > Lexicon MC-10 Pre/Pro > 2x Lexicon LX7 Amps
Thank for the last feedback.
Regarding the last comments on the PR, don't expect to have the rollback in the official Kodi.
I think i will close the PR and let another developer with more knowledge manages the issues with the new code.
As i said from the beginning, i'm not an android nor audio/video developer. Just tried to help but it's too time consuming.

Hopefully, Kodi is open source so i can build my own package which works perfectly for me even if i do it wrong.

Hope someone can solve it.

Thank to @jogal and @fritsch for their help and their work.
@supertoto1977 
I greatly appreciate your effort. I am aware that modifying the Kodi code is always difficult or extremely difficult at times. It is never easy. It always takes time.

For this same reason this is not yet 100% resolved. Kodi is cross-platform and we have to follow an order and guidelines. For example, it is not possible to use the v18.9 code for Android only and the new v19/v20 code for the rest of the platforms.

If there is something wrong with the new Android code, it must be corrected. Likewise, if in my last patch "fix TrueHD dropouts" there is something wrong that affects only Android (RAW), it must be corrected.

I have updated yesterday's builds in the first post because they were wrong. Now they should work in RAW (I don't have Shield to test though).

New builds 08-11-2021

ARM64: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...64-v8a.apk
ARM: https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
(2021-11-08, 10:34)jogal Wrote:  it is not possible to use the v18.9 code for Android only and the new v19/v20 code for the rest of the platforms.

What exactly is changed and why was it necessary? Especially in 18->19 switch where Python version changed and now it's not very easy to switch between 18.9/19.x because of plugin incompatibilites etc.

18.9 was stable in all platforms, 19 isn't..

Now that we have working 19.3 by @supertoto1977 and probably soon Maven will add his DV changes, it's obvious that Android users will switch to that and never look back..
(2021-11-08, 10:34)jogal Wrote: @supertoto1977 
I greatly appreciate your effort. I am aware that modifying the Kodi code is always difficult or extremely difficult at times. It is never easy. It always takes time.

For this same reason this is not yet 100% resolved. Kodi is cross-platform and we have to follow an order and guidelines. For example, it is not possible to use the v18.9 code for Android only and the new v19/v20 code for the rest of the platforms.

If there is something wrong with the new Android code, it must be corrected. Likewise, if in my last patch "fix TrueHD dropouts" there is something wrong that affects only Android (RAW), it must be corrected.

I have updated yesterday's builds in the first post because they were wrong. Now they should work in RAW (I don't have Shield to test though).

New builds 08-11-2021

Downloading now.  Shield 2019 and 2015.

craigr
Kodi Signal Chain: Nvidia ShieldTV (2019) > Lumagen Radiance PRO (video output) > JVC RS4100 Projector, Paladini DCR, 2.40AR 128" Wide STK1.3 G4

New builds 08-11-2021

jogal,

I really appreciate your help and effort on this.  However, I have one challenge for your assertion.  If Kodi is for all platforms, why is it OK that Android is broken over the other platforms working perfectly.  It seems that Android could be fixed, but then other platforms don't work correctly?  But am I wrong in the guess that the most common platform is Android for Kodi now?  I'm debating switching to a NUC with Ubuntu or some other Linux distribution (possibly LibreELEC) and scrapping the Shield TV in the Theater.  My other two Shield rooms do not run passthrough for audio so they aren't really a problem, just my theater.

Once again, thanks to you and all of Team Kodi.  It really is lovely software and I am still hoping this gets fully resolved.  I think Kodi is much nicer than PLEX or Zappiti, but both of those solutions also work perfectly for the most part.

Kind regards,
craigr
Maybe it has something to do with the shield or tegra chip itself in combination with Python 3.
i also have a firestick on witch i installed normal 19.x and i have no stuttering at all, and its connected with 5ghz compared to 1 gb on shield.
Also all streaming services on firestick has no stuttering because it changes to the correctly framerate.

New builds 08-11-2021

Just tried this build with Atmos TRUE HD, and getting stuttering issue still. So not resolved.
What is the difference between this build and kodiapp-19.3-atmos-fix3-arm64-v8a-debug.apk ? Is it the same but the later installs on the side ?

Is there one with more fix than the other one ?
Just wondering if it's worth for me to try to resintall / setup everything with kodiapp-19.3-atmos-fix3-arm64-v8a-debug.apk vs kodi-20211108-510d305e-fix-android-raw-Matrix-arm64-v8a.apk to see if there is an improvement ?

Thanks for trying to fix the issue, but unfortunately we are not there yet Sad
@ThierryB Are you using a clean install with Estuary and no extra addons?
(2021-11-08, 17:44)ThierryB Wrote: Just tried this build with Atmos TRUE HD, and getting stuttering issue still. So not resolved.
What is the difference between this build and kodiapp-19.3-atmos-fix3-arm64-v8a-debug.apk ? Is it the same but the later installs on the side ?

To my understanding these are different builds, as Kodi devs refused the 18.9 rollback? Use supertoto's version, that one works.
@jogal 

I tried the Wonder Woman clip with "Android IEC packer" (RAW). It keeps stuttering. However, I also tried Wrath of a Man with DTS-HD audio, and it is smooth. Everything is super smooth when "Android IEC packer" (RAW) is NOT selected (both TrueHD and DTS-HD).
@jogal 
I fully understand and it's very complex to manage cross plateform development.
Finally i really think that i don't have the skills and time to solve such issues with the current code.

And to be totally honest, i don't think that the @fritsch 's fix will really solve our issues for Kodi IEC.
I'm not talking about Atmos, but the other audio formats.
I spent a lot of time trying to solve issues, so i had no time to really test this fix as it should be.
I don't like to say that it doesn't work without proof (logs). But during my tests using this fix, i still had some video stutters (but less often than before).
And the feeling that the video is less smooth. Like @Gaddinator90, just after a black screen, i saw micro stutter several time.
Moreover the RAW format is not managed in this fix and had random video stutters too on my Sony (i know, i know ...Sony firmware is the worse).

Now i would like to spent some time by watching a movie without the debug information and stutters Big Grin
Thank you for the latest version with the rollback to 18.9 files. Kodi for me was unusable with Atmos on stock 19.3. This patched version, whilst It doesn't feel completely 100% - I still seem to encounter minor video skips (much better than the paused buffering I was seeing) the sound no longer cuts out.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Matrix v19.3 + micro stuttering fix + TrueHD RAW fix (test builds v19.4)0