With a comment in IPTV Simple Client settings.xml, Kodi crashes hard when starting up
Arch Linux "uname --all" output): Linux htpc 5.14.16-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue, 02 Nov 2021 22:22:59 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Kodi Leia 18.9.0 package: Arch Linux updated with "sudo pacman -Syyu --ignore kodi --ignore kodi-x11 --ignore kodi-dev"
PVR IPTV Simple Client Kodi addon package: kodi-addon-pvr-iptvsimple-git r293.7578e0c319a6-2 package

PVR IPTV Simple Client settings.xml file after removing caching through the config screen: pawixojosi (paste)
PVR IPTV Simple Client settings.xml file with manually added comment line: heqoyizefa (paste)
(No EPG and Channel URLs were added yet.)

Kodi debug log with crash: kohidusito.kodi (paste)

Steps to reproduce:
Close Kodi.
Manually edit file "/home/htpc/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.iptvsimple/settings.xml" to add an XML comment line.
Start Kodi.
Kodi briefly shows. Then Boom! Hard crash to the desktop.
After a short while the Kodi processes will be completely removed from memory. Repeatedly check with "ps aux | grep -ive 'grep' | grep -ie 'PID %CPU' -ie 'kodi'" until the Kodi processes are gone.
This keeps happening until the comment line is removed from the settings.xml file.

P.S.
Could this also affect "/home/htpc/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.iptvsimple/xmltv.xml.cache" when caching is enabled?
Kodi settings are not typical xml files as they are initialized, read, synchronized and written by API and are not user files.  Even if the comments were accepted, there would be no guarantee they would be saved after a rewrite.

Martin
I had forgotten all about this thread. Weird that Kodi gets all gullible with XML settings files, but not with for example XML skin files.
Maybe you start taking notice of the concept named Robust Programming. End of!
(2021-11-10, 03:37)emveepee Wrote: Kodi settings are not typical xml files as they are initialized, read, synchronized and written by API and are not user files.

Martin
I had forgotten all about this thread. Weird that Kodi gets all gullible with XML settings files, but not with for example XML skin files.
(2021-11-10, 03:37)emveepee Wrote: Even if the comments were accepted, there would be no guarantee they would be saved after a rewrite.

Martin
Who started about retention? YOU!
I was just simulating and testing because my ISP's XMLTV files are commented. If Kodi is not robust enough to handle this, than too bad. If you cannot handle this, stop copy+pasting non-sense.
...?

https://www.timeanddate.com/date/duratio...10&y1=2021
(2023-09-13, 23:59)Up Next ..... Wrote:
(2021-11-10, 03:37)emveepee Wrote: Kodi settings are not typical xml files as they are initialized, read, synchronized and written by API and are not user files.

Martin
(2021-11-10, 03:37)emveepee Wrote: Even if the comments were accepted, there would be no guarantee they would be saved after a rewrite.

Martin
Who started about retention? YOU!
I was just simulating and testing because my ISP's XMLTV files are commented. If Kodi is not robust enough to handle this, than too bad. If you cannot handle this, stop copy+pasting non-sense.

I was specifically taking about the addon's settings.xml file in userdata that I thought the topic refers too. They are regularly rewritten when the are saved.   If you want to edit the source to the settings in resource I don't know about comments but I have edited defaults etc.

Now that you are introducing discussion about XMLTV files these are different and they would be parsed by the addon reading them, not Kodi.  If the addon is having an issue then you would to provide examples.

Martin
Settings.xml file is not ment to be edited by end user. If they do behavior is undefined.

I agree that Kodi should not crash here, but it is you doing something wrong that leads to misbehavior.

So you should turn your rude tone either into asking kindly for improvement or even better writing an issue over at GitHub.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
With a comment in IPTV Simple Client settings.xml, Kodi crashes hard when starting up0