upgraded from 18 to 19 and now my MCE remote won't work
Had everything going fine in 18 but I was occasionally seeing the UI text disappear. Plus a lot of plugins were broken. Not a big deal, but I needed to upgrade at some point so I did today. 

Well now my remote won't work. I reinstalled lirc and reconfigured it. When I run irw I see the mceusb commands being received. They just aren't getting to Kodi. I did find an MCERemote plugin in the wiki but I can't find it in the add-ons repo. 

Sample of the commands being received by irw: 

sh:
000000037ff07be1 01 KEY_UP mceusb
000000037ff07be0 00 KEY_DOWN mceusb
000000037ff07be0 01 KEY_DOWN mceusb
000000037ff07bdb 00 KEY_DVD mceusb
000000037ff07bdc 00 KEY_BACK mceusb

This was working fine in 18. How do I get it running in 19? 

Linux Mint 20.2, Kodi 19.3.0
(2021-11-14, 06:58)wcanyon Wrote: Had everything going fine in 18 but I was occasionally seeing the UI text disappear. Plus a lot of plugins were broken. Not a big deal, but I needed to upgrade at some point so I did today. 

Well now my remote won't work. I reinstalled lirc and reconfigured it. When I run irw I see the mceusb commands being received. They just aren't getting to Kodi. I did find an MCERemote plugin in the wiki but I can't find it in the add-ons repo. 

Sample of the commands being received by irw: 

sh:
000000037ff07be1 01 KEY_UP mceusb
000000037ff07bdb 00 KEY_DVD mceusb
000000037ff07bdc 00 KEY_BACK mceusb

This was working fine in 18. How do I get it running in 19? 

Linux Mint 20.2, Kodi 19.3.0

If you installed lirc from the standard apt repository then you got the new broken version (some will argue that it's not broken, but if that's the case then at least it's about 5000% harder to configure).  Most of us (those who don't want to put ourselves through a lot of grief) just reinstall the older version that still works. See this:

Make LIRC work in Ubuntu 18.04, so that you can use your infrared remote in Kodi

And yes this does still work in Ubuntu 20.04.  Not sure about Linux Mint, but I'd think it would work there as well.

For those who claim the new LIRC version works, we are all still waiting for that video walkthough, or for that super simple and easily understood article explaining how to set it up, not some piece of technical prose that only a programmer or a developer can understand.
Yeah I forgot to mention that I installed it from the xenial repo. You can't run the configure command if you didn't do that. I bet the IR listener app from that repo won't run either.

Quote:And yes this does still work in Ubuntu 20.04. Not sure about Linux Mint, but I'd think it would work there as well.

It does work in Ubuntu/Mint since irb is receiving IR signals. The issue is that Kodi isn't responding to those signals. It was working fine in Kodi 18. Don't know why I would even need to reinstall lirc. It's possible I didn't.

What's the next thing to try?

Worth noting that I had to install Kodi from the flatpak repo to get it to work in Mint. The standard edition won't launch.
(2021-11-14, 23:31)wcanyon Wrote: Worth noting that I had to install Kodi from the flatpak repo to get it to work in Mint. The standard edition won't launch.

I suspect that might be the source of your problem, if you did not upgrade or reinstall lirc, but note that even a normal apt update/upgrade would have upgraded it if you did not hold the package.  You want to make sure you're still running lirc 0.9x, not a 1.x version (if I recall correctly).  If you don't ascertain which version you have, any attempt to make it work could be an exercise in futility.  Be sure to read the article I linked above, and if you do by some miracle still have the older version, make sure you mark it so it can't upgrade.

My suspicion is that you might be one of those people who never does a system upgrade as long as everything is working (which is a very, very bad practice for security reasons, but it's your system and your network).  But then when you tried to do the Kodi upgrade, something told you to do the apt update/upgrade dance, which would normally be excellent advice but in this case had the unintended consequence of upgrading lirc to the terribly bad version.  If you read the article I mentioned, it tells you how to mark lirc so it won't be upgraded in that situation.

I have always followed the instructions at https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_Linux   (section 1).  Normally I don't upgrade Kodi unless I am going to wipe the system (after making a backup of course) and reinstall both the operating system and Kodi from scratch, so I use the commands in sections 1.1.  If you did not do a clean install, it is possible there are traces of the old Kodi as well as the new on the system.  In any case I think maybe flatpaks run in some kind of "sandbox" and may not receive lirc input in the same way that the normal version would.  We've all been there, where something that has always worked in the past no longer does, so rather than spend time figuring out why the previously used method no longer works we move on and try something different, and in my experience about half the time that solves the problem, but the other half the time it either still doesn't work or creates brand new issues.  I have personally avoided flatpaks and snaps whenever possible, so I am not the person to ask for help with them.  So, I would make certain which lirc version you have installed, and if it is still the older one then I would suspect the flatpack version of Kodi MIGHT be the problem.  If it's the newer lirc version, then reverting back to the older one may solve your problem, but only if the flatpak version of Kodi is receiving the commands.
There are several assumptions you're making: 

1. I installed this OS more than a couple of months ago. I didn't. This is a fresh install from September. The likelihood of some system setting being the issue here seems very low. 

1. I didn't attempt to follow the instructions on the Kodi wiki. I did. It didn't work, the app would not launch and didn't show up when I ran `which`. So I tried using the Software Manager to install it. That didn't work, the app would not launch. So I installed it using the other version that showed up in Software Manager but was called "(Flatpak)". That did work, the app would launch. 

I guess the next thing to do is to completely wipe Kodi and reinstall using the wiki instructions. I think I tried that already but I'm not positive.
I don't know if I have been unclear, or if you just don't want to hear what I am telling you, or you forgot to address it in your most recent post, but the #1 most important thing to do is FIND OUT WHAT VERSION OF lirc YOU HAVE!! If it's the new version then nothing you do will fix your problem until you get the old version reinstalled.  Wiping and reinstalling Kodi might also help, but it's still not going to work correctly if you have that bad new lirc version!

Anyway I am done with this for tonight, I wish you good luck getting it working again.
sh:
% dpkg -s lirc | grep '^Version:'

Version: 0.9.0-0ubuntu6

% apt-cache policy lirc
lirc:
  Installed: 0.9.0-0ubuntu6
  Candidate: 0.10.1-6.1ubuntu1.1
  Version table:
     0.10.1-6.1ubuntu1.1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/universe amd64 Packages
     0.10.1-6.1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
 *** 0.9.0-0ubuntu6 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I'm starting over from scratch and Kodi 19 won't install. https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=365505
I had a very similar problem with my Hama usb Remote MCE. The issue was, some keys (Play, Pause...) didn't arrive to Kodi. Main reason was, that the OS did send those keys to the dbus to make them available to all applications. This is how I solved it, maybe this will help you.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=365505

After starting over from scratch and sorting out the issues with the install process that are present in the wiki my remote works with no issues. The wiki needs an update. 

Important note: I think this is covered above but the version of `lirc` in the default repo is BROKEN. You have to install the previous version. Have no idea why they can't manage to get that fixed.
(2021-11-15, 20:01)wcanyon Wrote: Important note: I think this is covered above but the version of `lirc` in the default repo is BROKEN. You have to install the previous version. Have no idea why they can't manage to get that fixed.
This is something a lot of us have been wondering about ever since Ubuntu 18.04 came out.  See my comments about that here (particularly the last paragraph).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
upgraded from 18 to 19 and now my MCE remote won't work0