Kodi on Android TV
Hi guys
I've been using Kodi for a long time on RaspberryPi with openELEC (LibreELEC now?)  and only problem I have had until now is that videos encoded in x265, HEVC do not play correctly (video starts freezing). Other functionalities are perfect for my taste (missing Netflix app for it and that is the only reason I do not have Netflix subscription)
Now I'm planing to do an upgrade of my old TV into something better.

As far as I know, Kodi is awailable only for Android TV (other TV OS-es do not support Kodi?)

I have tried Kodi on Android device once in the paste (Xtreamer) and it did not work well (slow as hell). For any of you using such combo, how do you feel about it? Any problems / issues worth mentioning?
I'm thinking about Sony Oled 65" (like Sony OLED 4K HDR KD65AG9BAEP), any better ideas?
Thread moved to Hardware support.

Discussions is not for support requests - hardware is the better place for such requests.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
I don't know how powerful is the "smart" in your Smart TV, but my Walmart Onn 4K Android TV box has no issues at all with x265 HEVC videos.
It works so well, in fact, I've decided it's time to retire the 3 HTPCs I just spent a lot of money upgrading.
(2021-11-25, 22:02)MilaMilan Wrote: Hi guys
I've been using Kodi for a long time on RaspberryPi with openELEC (LibreELEC now?)  and only problem I have had until now is that videos encoded in x265, HEVC do not play correctly (video starts freezing). Other functionalities are perfect for my taste (missing Netflix app for it and that is the only reason I do not have Netflix subscription)
Now I'm planing to do an upgrade of my old TV into something better.

As far as I know, Kodi is awailable only for Android TV (other TV OS-es do not support Kodi?)

I have tried Kodi on Android device once in the paste (Xtreamer) and it did not work well (slow as hell). For any of you using such combo, how do you feel about it? Any problems / issues worth mentioning?
I'm thinking about Sony Oled 65" (like Sony OLED 4K HDR KD65AG9BAEP), any better ideas?

I wouldn't buy a TV specifically because it has an OS that runs Kodi on it.  I think pretty much every TV that runs Android TV has compromises when running Kodi that external players don't have - usually in terms of frame rate support, audio support etc., and often in terms of internal storage, processor speed etc. (Some TVs also have compromises with their internal Smart TV apps for Netflix, Prime, Disney +, Apple TV+ etc. too. My Sony UHD TV set doesn't frame rate switch Netflix content for instance it seems - so 24, 25 and 30fps stuff all runs at 60Hz - as the Android TV implementation on my Sony TV doesn't support frame rate switching)

Personally I'd buy a TV for it's picture quality and it's TV facilities - and then add an external solution (or solutions) for Kodi and/or DRM-ed streaming sources.  

I have a Sony UHD HDR Android TV - but the best DRM streaming option for me was an Apple TV 4K, and the best Kodi platform has been an AMLogic N2 or C4 running CoreElec, though the MrMC fork of Kodi on the Apple TV 4K is also very good (if you don't need Python-based adding).  

The Pi4B running LibreElec has good support for h.265 (i.e. stuff encoded with the x265 encoder, or other h.265 encoders) up to 4K - though the h.264 decoder in the Pi is still limited to HD. (The Pi 4B also now has HD Audio and initial HDR and Rec 2020 support for UHD HDR h.265 content). Other people like the nVidia Shield TV as an Android TV solution for both Kodi and DRM-ed streaming apps (though it's compromised frame rate switching is also an issue for me on DRM apps - though works fine in Kodi)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Android TV0