Custom Directory Set for Media Content
Why is there no "custom" directory set for media content?
As of right now you can only select: Movies, Tv Shows, Music Videos, or off. 

It would help out with those people who want to separate Anime(tion), Adult Movies(yes some scrape lol), Documentaries, or whatever else from their respective location into a custom one. It would still limit the directory to Movies, Tv Shows, or Music Videos content types only so you wouldn't be able to have two content types in one directory, unless it scrapes I guess(but that could another side of that bug KarrellenX brought up #16112 or just that some scrapers will be able to give information on content regardless of what scraper type is used). But I digress..

It also would help out with the custom .nfo's, linking, smart playlists, and all other work arounds' people have come up with to get this accomplished.
Which I care to assume has WAY more of an overall impact on performance then to just have a separate content directory entirely. Because depending of the users solution/problem, the content is either excluded/filtered out entirely(so it doesn't show in the traditional section) or the content is additionally filtered(so it shows in traditional content sections and additional ones).

I think I heard somewhere the reasoning is how the content is scraped into kodi, but if we can already have multiple sources for each content directory, wouldn't it be the same thing?
It would just be a custom "named" directory with the same overall properties, that it still has to be either Movies or Tv Shows or Music Videos?

eg: 20gb's separated in only 3 content directories 10 specialty smart playlists/linking(10 sources) would have more of an impact then as if it was 20gb's in 10 content directories no specialty smartplaylists/linking (10 sources).
I would care to assume I'm wrong tho lol
It sounds to me like you're mixing up sources/nodes and media content types.

There are basically only the three content types (tv shows, movies and music videos) based on the available scrapers and their back-end metadata sites. Everything else you've listed (anime, adult movies, documentaries etc) are sub-types of one of those main content types, so having additional categories for them would be duplication.

But what you can do, which (unless I'm misunderstanding) I think is what you're driving towards is video nodes (wiki). Those can take one or more sources, and then apply various filtering on them (genre, location/path, date plus a whole load more) to more or less make custom sources per topic/subject like you are asking.

The library movies and tv shows that you get when you have scraped in content from those media types are examples of such nodes, but you can create your own in addition if you want. Then using a suitable skin, you can put those nodes into your menu and access their content in the same way you do the general movies/shows ones.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom Directory Set for Media Content0