Mirror Kodi's playback, locally on remote control smartphone (in Kore, or otherwise)?
I tried searching for the title keywords on this forum, but I got "Sorry, but no results were returned using the query information you provided. Please redefine your search terms and try again." I'm basically very happy with Kodi and Kore and what they do - but I'm kind of missing this feature, and I cannot tell whether it is already doable or not. So, let me explain what I'm looking for through an example:
  • I'm watching something on Kodi, whether it be a local video file, or a remote video stream; so both audio and video are playing in Kodi
  • Suddenly, I need to take a shit, so I need to go to the toilet
  • Now, every civilized person would have just pressed "pause", and done their business - but is that good enough for me? No Smile (and pause on a live stream is kind of a meh experience)
  • Also, I can hear the normal Kodi audio in the toilet, so I really don't want to press pause
  • So what I wish for here, is that:
    • I leave Kodi playing whatever it is playing,
    • then hit a button on Kore, get a mirror of the video Kodi's playing now on Kore on the smartphone,
    • go to the toilet, and enjoy taking a shit, while still following whatever Kodi's playing
    • once done, come back to the main screen; now that I can see the main screen playback, I don't care about the local mirror anymore, so I hit a button on the smartphone Kore to disable local mirroring
The way I see it - whatever the source, Kodi as a video/audio player, has to reduce whatever source it is playing to a video and an audio data stream which is then send to screen display or soundcard drivers. So "all" that needs to be done, is to use this "final" data stream, as a source for a media network streaming server.

I'm aware that there are already existing technologies that implement media network streaming servers - but I don't know this space much, and I cannot tell what can be used for this purpose that would work, and especially I cannot tell to what extent are these technologies present in Kodi. For instance, I see "ffmpeg" mentioned on the net in relation to Kodi, but I cannot tell if there is already an "ffmpeg" built into Kodi, or can it be made available through an addon.

Note that I use both Kodi (on a TV, essentially) and Kore (on a smartphone) in Android, so that might possibly make my choices a bit limited.

Let me also add, that for me, using Kore as the player of this "mirror stream" would be ideal - but it would also be fine, if there was a Kodi addon that could be manipulated via Kore, that could start/stop a stream mirroring server on the Kodi device, which I could then watch on, say, VLC on the same smartphone that runs Kore.

So, that is essentially my question - are there technologies available, that would allow mirroring of whatever Kodi is playing, on a smartphone that acts as a remote via Kore?

From a bit of research I've done, I found: Both are still marked as open, so there seems to be no easy built-in option for that - but maybe (hopefully) someone knows an addon (or a technique) that could implement this kind of mirrorring ...
I've been looking for exactly this also, but with "step outside for a cigarette" replacing "take a shit".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mirror Kodi's playback, locally on remote control smartphone (in Kore, or otherwise)?0