Kodi 19.3 Won't Start Unless Run as Administrator
I'm trying to use Kodi 19.3 under Windows 10 but it just won't open (it does however show under Task Manager), however if I run as administrator, it starts up fine and works.

I've reinstalled it several times and completely removed all the userdata and nothing helps.

Strangely, Kodi works perfectly on my girlfriends user account on the same computer!

Can anyone advise, thanks,
https://paste.kodi.tv/lunasosuje.kodi
I am guessing it has something to do with your setup.

The Kodi program is installed in the correct location
C:\Program Files\Kodi

For some reason your Kodi data folder (wiki) has ended up on a different drive
D:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata
And Kodi is unable to access it
unable to load settings from special://masterprofile/guisettings.xml, creating new default settings

I am guessing you have opted to move the location of the user folder and there is a permission issue somewhere?
Do you know why the user folder is on a different drive?
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for your reply.

The C Drive is used mainly just for applications as its a smaller SSD, but have a 2TB HDD (D Drive) so have set Windows to locate all user files onto this, I've never had trouble with any software and Kodi used to work fine (although I haven't used it on this PC for a long time as I tend to use it on a Fire TV).

I've checked permissions and did an alteration so my user has full access to the Kodi UserData folder. This has caused that error to disappear on the log, but Kodi is still not working...

https://paste.kodi.tv/isaloqakim.kodi
The log files you provided, are you finding them in D:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\kodi.log?

The log stops at the end of the addon check. Those listed addons are in C:\Program Files\Kodi\Addons folder.
Next comes a check for optical drives, power status of the system, start of audio engine, language check, video check, favourites check.
It is hard to tell which one it is failing on as the crash occurs before anymore of the log could be written from cache into the log file.

The new log seems to show it is accessing the Kodi data folder (wiki) ok.

Maybe check audio setup...

I understand why you have moved your user folder, but don't wholly agree with it.
The user folder can become very active in Windows. You have moved that to a slower, spinning drive, and increased its usage, and decreased its life.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for your reply.

I have now altered the AppData folder so it is back on the C Drive.

I reinstalled Kodi and started it up, again, nothing appeared on screen but Kodi was still in the Task Manager, I left the computer and after about 25 minutes, Kodi actually started, then froze. I've got the latest logs below. It mentions something about a fatal error on the keyboard layouts?

https://paste.kodi.tv/ojexoxatin.kodi
I've checked the sound settings, all appears to be set up correctly with no issues
There definitely seems to be an issue with the Audio. But lets try the following first.

Delete the entire \Kodi\ folder in this path... C:\Users\micha\AppData\Roaming\Kodi (It will be recreated fresh when you restart Kodi)

Uninstall Kodi from the c:\ drive. If you use Windows uninstall, double check that it has been deleted in c:\program files

Reinstall Kodi again.

I am hoping it is now just a bit of corruption that needs to be cleared out.

If that does not work, try a portable install on your d:\ drive ... https://kodi.wiki/view/Portable_mode
My Signature
Thanks for your reply

I've deleted the Kodi user files/Program Files several times and sadly this hasn't fixed the issue.

I tried the Portable version and again, while the portable data folder was created straight away, Kodi doesn't seem to start at all (although still appears in the Task Manager)

https://paste.kodi.tv/sojirewaja.kodi

I've run the main installed version on my girlfriend's Windows account (same PC) and it works fine. The logs for that are:

https://paste.kodi.tv/ajihidogiq.kodi
(2022-03-03, 01:15)Mike9586 Wrote: I tried the Portable version and again, while the portable data folder was created straight away, Kodi doesn't seem to start at all (although still appears in the Task Manager)
Ok. So it is possible there was nothing wrong with your initial install, nor any of the subsequent installs you made because the Portable Install has the same problem.

Judging by your log a few posts up, there is an audio issue, either a driver problem, or maybe the way you have set up your AVR/TV.
Can you describe your setup. Be detailed- equipment, cables, connections etc...
Also post images of your audio settings, same as my image above, because the log does not get far enough for the audio check.
Although I don't know why Kodi has trouble reading the guisettings.xml file each time. Maybe an anti-virus is blocking some files?

This may be a little tough to crack as it is an issue with your setup, and there could be dozens of possibilities.
My Signature
Thank you very much for your reply, sorry for my delay in replying.

My setup is pretty simple, it's an Intel NUC PC running the latest build of Windows 10 Pro with DisplayPort monitor and Realtek sound drivers (and audio to monitor through the display port), I also have a second HDMI monitor. Audio can be passed to this monitor too but isn't the primary option. I am intending on getting an upgraded system when finances allow.

I've included a couple of hopefully useful screenshots below

https://imgur.com/a/9agxGRK

If its working on another Windows profile on the same PC and through 'Run as Administrator' on mine, it seems really odd that it won't run properly on mine normally.
Here is the log from when running Kodi on my Windows profile in Administrator mode: https://paste.kodi.tv/ibizezazok.kodi
(2022-03-04, 20:17)Mike9586 Wrote: Here is the log

2022-03-04 18:14:49.066 T:16976 INFO <general>: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.

Not a debug log... Enable it, restart Kodi, reproduce the problem(s), and submit the new log file.
That’s the only log I know about it’s Kodi.log in the user data.
(2022-03-07, 21:36)Mike9586 Wrote: That’s the only log I know about it’s Kodi.log in the user data.
Correct file, but you must have logging turned on to extract more meaningful information to be imparted in the log. Don't forget to exit & restart to include all needed information.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 19.3 Won't Start Unless Run as Administrator0