KODI and Synology 1618+
Hi,

I have all my media stored on a Synology NAS 1618+, which works fine. The unit is quite noisy so I keep it im another room, far from my theatre room. I have mananged to set it up so that it wakes up when KODI starts. However I have not been able to get the HDD Hibernation and Auto poweroff functions of the NAS to work. I am trying to find out in Synology forums, but I thought I'd also check here on the KODI forum, is there some known way that KODI could be used to send a power-off or HDD Hibernation command to the Synology unit? Obviously they communicate, and it would be very convenient if KODI could send a command for HDD suspension when I shut down KODI. My girlfriend is a bit annoyed at the sound it makes constantly, also it uses electricity, it produces heat and constantly working must wear it out prematurely...?

Christopher
Moving the thread to the Hardware section.

Synology's DSM firmware has very clear settings for HDD power off timings and hibernation. Power off every night at 11pm, for example.
What Kodi device do you have connected to the NAS, I'm guessing it's on 24/7 .
Hi, I have a Windows 10 HTPC, but it is suspended/hibernation or even switched off 95% of the time, sometimes for weeks, so I doubt that KODI is the culprit. 

I will look into the power scheduling, if that works at least the noise would only last for a few hours, better than nothing. Still, it would be great if KODI could control it both on and off, as the NAS is used for nothing else.
Kodi cannot fully control the NAS like that. If Kodi itself is in a deep sleep, then other network devices are likely to keep the NAS awake. Or maybe even something you installed in the NAS is causing its insomnia.
Yes I guess so. I do not really understand 99% of all the strange services and apps on the NAS, so wouldn't know where to start, but will pursue this on the Synology forum. But the power schedule off worked, so at least that is a great improvement :-) Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
KODI and Synology 1618+0