Wierdness when browsing TV shows in files mode.
I typically browse my videos in files mode. I scan everything to the library, then the info shows up when browsing the files. Lately a few TV series are scanning correctly into the library, but they do not show up when perusing them in files mode. The info does show up properly when looking in the library. When viewing a "broken" series in files mode, if I use the information key(i), the full and correct info about the series shows up. 

A couple of the TV shows in question have been repaired by doing a refresh of the series along with all episodes. Not all are repaired by doing this. I have tried totally removing the series from the library and rescanning it from scratch but that still does not remedy the issue. 

Any idea what could be blocking the display of info in files mode?

My environment:
Using Kodi for around 10 years.
Latest version Kodi running on Linux and Android.
remote mySQL database holding the library.

I have uploaded a kodi.log to https://paste.kodi.tv/humoyunobo.kodi It includes startup, turning on debug, going to files/TV/series_name, doing an info(i), and then going into the library to the same series. Deactivate debug. Close Kodi.
I have been able to duplicate this scenario. My files are now displaying correctly, but there's clearly a bug. I don't know where to post a trouble ticked so I'll provide the info here and maybe someone can open a ticket...

So, say I have a TV series called "the walking dead", and the files are stored on a NAS in a directory called "the walking dead". Now assume I watch them all and then delete the directory. Later a new season appears and I create a directory for the episodes, this time called "The Walking Dead". After scanning it into the library, the scenario described in the original post occurs. Even if I delete the whole series from the library, re-scanning it does not remedy the situation. Now, if I delete the series from the library, then change the name back to what it was initially and re-scan, everything shows up as expected.

If you want to know what the file path was previously, in this case use 'texturecache s "walking dead"', and it will show what the path was for all episodes when the thumbnails were generated.
(2022-04-07, 21:42)gargamon Wrote: I typically browse my videos in files mode.

Doing that AND using a centralized database is not a typical combination. But okay.

(2022-05-08, 03:43)gargamon Wrote: this time called "The Walking Dead"

To Windows, upper/lowercase versions of folders & filenames are treated kind of 'loosely', but in Linux-based OSes including Android, uppercase and lowercase versions of folders/filenames are considered unique. Kodi has that same approach. Any deviation (letter, space, comma, etc.) from the original will result in a new entry in the video database. And that's where the confusion can start.
Yes, I agree that "Any deviation (letter, space, comma, etc.) from the original will result in a new entry in the video database". But in the scenario I face, I have deleted the initial set of videos, which should have left the library (and everything else) in a state where everything associated with the earlier entry is gone. Re-scanning it in a slightly differently named folder after it has been totally deleted from the library should result in a whole new entry, regardless of something that happened previously. This, in fact, is how it works when using library mode. Files mode appears to be looking at stale data from somewhere which still looks at data that should no longer exist.

As I now know what the issue is, this is no longer a concern for me as I can manually fix this anytime it is needed, and I will be more cautious in the future when naming. At least it is now documented here so if someone else has the issue in the future, they will have a route to a solution. 

I use files mode over library mode for a number of reasons. It allows me to manage files easily from within kodi. If I finish watching "Walking Dead", I can simply delete the whole directory associated with it. I can delete files from kodi after I have watched them. I can easily see if something has not yet been added to the library. Etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wierdness when browsing TV shows in files mode.0