Information Why does kodi not bump libbluray versions?
Hi there

Have always wondered why the resistance to bump libbluray? And if I was to try and do it myself and PR would I need to compile for windows/Linux/Android and IOS?
Thread moved to Kodi application development
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Apple/android currently use 1.3.0
Linux uses whatever system lib is.

If your talking about windows, the only dev that deals with windows packaging has very little time, and therefore they only get generated when a desperate callout from a team member occurs. This is the way it is because there are very few windows Devs, and of that small amount, even fewer care or know how to handle dep bumps for it.
So for windows I could submit my compiled version of 1.30 or 1.3.1 for consideration as I guess apple/android haven’t modified the kodi code to include the additional key press functions (out of my skill bracket currently )as that would require different branches of kodi?

And unsure of your Linux reply, does Libbluray get built into kodi or is it independent and pulled from the OS?
So this is all a very loaded question. Let me get expectations in check.

First, a built lib of libbluray 1.3.0 for windows has been done by Paxxi. It hasnt been tested, from memory it wasnt done for all the arch types (ie the obscure windows/uwp arm shit), and more importantly, no one else in the team with time has done anything with those libes.

Secondly, ill be blunt here, the way windows dev is done using precompiled libs, essentially means we will not ever use a precompiled lib from anyone other than a team member. Its just not going to happen. Dont take offense to this, but precompiled libs are sketchy as is, but at least theres already an element of trust in team members that make it acceptable to a point. If you want to deal with windows libs, the only channel anything will get done currently is by going and working through https://github.com/xbmc/kodi-deps 
Even with that, the one team member who maintains and manages it, still has very little time, so dont expect anything.

As for what you are actually after, what is it you are expecting from the lib bump? If its anything using new API's (ie the mouse or change in input apis), doing just a lib bump doesnt magically make any of that work. This is the same for every platform. If you want to make use of "new" apis in a lib such as libbluray, PR the code changes that make the lib bump worthwhile. If you cant, then what does the lib bump actually get us?

Regarding actual non CI builds of linux, linux uses shared libs, not statically compiled libs. So essentially it uses what the system provides through however it handles system libs.
not expecting anything from the new API's as no code changes are done, but i notice an improvement in how menu's work and the newer versions fix some movies that don't work, been using this for months with a self build first a poor mingw build then a proper cmake build and no new issue's have been noted by myself only the existing ones 

i do think though if the API was updated for key presses it might fix the FF/REW bug but again bug reports get ignored so i don't expect anything to happen there unless i do it myself, but the main thing i take from this is mentioning anything libbluray related is a waste of my time and will just continue to work on it for myself so signing off
Ok, so ive just tried to provide you information of the current state of affairs. My apologies if its come off as harsh, or combative, thats wasnt the intent.

As i said, the fact windows uses precompiled libs, it just doesnt lead to easy updates from non team members. Anything could be precompiled, and we would be none the wiser. 
To actively get involved in windows dependencies currently, go and look at https://github.com/xbmc/kodi-deps . This is how the libs are currently built (using CI - Github actions i believe), which then are "manually" uploaded to mirrors. Make PR's to it etc. They will be welcomed, it just may take some time for things to be actioned, so we just request patience with the limited windows dev power in the current active team list.

But if its all in the too hard basket, thats ok too.
My reply also came of as harsh and rude, (bad day) so apologies for that, I will try to work out how to submit the new libs then see if I can work out any api changes and see what happens

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why does kodi not bump libbluray versions?0