Android vs Windows on the ultimate Kodi hardware
(2022-07-19, 03:08)crawfish Wrote: I haven't once considered going back to Windows.

Well, good for you. I for one I`m not here to convince anybody of using anything, really. I just feel important to say that Kodi on Android sucks (for my use cases anyway) in comparison with PC, which is kind the topic. If you use the native TV player, then you obviously won`t have any of the Kodi on Android downsides. How is the playback of Bluray ISO with menus on the native player? Does it have customized, auto downloaded subtitles? Does it play SACD ISOs?

The wifi problem (as I see it) isn`t throughput but lag. I have a 2400Mb connection on wifi 6 which in fact has better throughput than my wired LAN... but I feel that responsiveness isn`t on the same league unfortunately.

I use Kodi since 16, and have used it on:
- Libreelec on Raspberry Pi2 and Pi3
- Coreelec on Odroid-C2
- Libreelec on Intel i3 7th gen
- Coreelec on Amlogic S912
- Coreelec on Amlogic S922
- Seen what Kodi was like on a Shield 2019 on a friend (big meh)
- I use a Fire TV Box 2nd gen for light Kodi from time to time. It`s disgusting. It is great for streaming thou.
- Now I`m back to Kodi on PC with AMD Ryzen 5600g.

Maybe in the future I will go the MadVR route and mess with shaders and stuff. I'm just not ready or willing yet.

So... I may have few posts on this forum, but really I have a ton of Kodi experience also (I wish I had less... really).

On PC Kodi 19 nowadays I don`t mess with shaders AT ALL. The HDR (along with automatic switching) simply works without having to configure anything. I know it sounds surreal, but it`s true. I guess maybe you just gave up too soon. Rumor has it that on 20 things will be even better. Fingers crossed.
It has been mentioned in this thread already but worth re-stating that each user's requirements/wants will dictate what the "best" Kodi box is. I've used Kodi on Windows machines from XBMC 10.0 until moving to an nVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 model) with Kodi 19.0 beta 1 on Nov. 27, 2020 and the first thing I noticed on the Shield was how "slow" the indexing, wall-scrolling, and other tasks whose speediness I took for granted on an x86/nVIDIA GPU/Windows box. For me though - I've come to appreciate how well the Shield/Kodi playback videos without some of the quirks I accepted on PCs. Now with Dolby Vision HDR & HDR10 videos; I'm even more forgetting about those PC/Win/Kodi advantages of faster back-end functions (as my preference is - once everything is configured - to spend more of my time and consideration on watching videos than fiddling with the UI and backend administrivia...)

Is the Shield or any Android-based SoC perfect? Not even close; but until someone hacks a firmware for a chinoppo 203 clone that runs Kodi 20.x and can also reliably playback MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-4 SP files (yes I still have some of those); I'm sticking with Shield/maven-built Kodi.
(2022-07-19, 03:08)crawfish Wrote: I haven't tried HDR on the PC for Kodi. I don't see how it could ever work better than the app running on the TV, which goes in and out of HDR instantaneously as needed, which was better than the Apple TV when I tried it.

Ah - you clearly don't have a Sony Android TV then...

My Sony is fixed at 60Hz refresh for Android apps - so any 24, 25 or 50fps content is displayed with lots of added judder - rather than switching to a different screen refresh rate to play optimally based on the content being played.
(2022-07-20, 10:21)noggin Wrote: Ah - you clearly don't have a Sony Android TV then...

My Sony is fixed at 60Hz refresh for Android apps - so any 24, 25 or 50fps content is displayed with lots of added judder - rather than switching to a different screen refresh rate to play optimally based on the content being played.

Well, the first sentence of my OP in this thread referred to my "my Sony A80J TV", so I do. Moreover, I find the TV's processing makes your observation non-existent for me, and in the several months I followed the relevant threads on avsforum.com, I don't recall seeing a lot of discussion on that. Those people were constantly losing their minds over Dolby Vision issues.
(2022-07-21, 17:55)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-07-20, 10:21)noggin Wrote: Ah - you clearly don't have a Sony Android TV then...

Well, the first sentence of my OP in this thread referred to my "my Sony A80J TV", so I do. Moreover, I find the TV's processing makes your observation non-existent for me, and in the several months I followed the relevant threads on avsforum.com, I don't recall seeing a lot of discussion on that. Those people were constantly losing their minds over Dolby Vision issues.

If you are in North America you may not have a need to watch 25/50Hz stuff.  Those of us in Europe do - as they are our main production standards and are used for all the major services when producing content in Europe.  It's been a known issue with Sony Android TVs for a while - though I've not checked in to see if the latest models still do it.

24fps stuff can be mitigated by using the Sony's Motion processing Film modes that look for 3:2 cadence - but for 25-at-60 and 50-at-60 there's not much you can do (nor should you have to - content should be displayed at the best refresh rate for the source)
(2022-07-22, 01:13)noggin Wrote: 24fps stuff can be mitigated by using the Sony's Motion processing Film modes that look for 3:2 cadence - but for 25-at-60 and 50-at-60 there's not much you can do (nor should you have to - content should be displayed at the best refresh rate for the source)
Supposedly it's in Android 12, but I don't know if Android 12 is on any device running Kodi, or whether Kodi implements it yet.
(2022-07-22, 04:03)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-07-22, 01:13)noggin Wrote: 24fps stuff can be mitigated by using the Sony's Motion processing Film modes that look for 3:2 cadence - but for 25-at-60 and 50-at-60 there's not much you can do (nor should you have to - content should be displayed at the best refresh rate for the source)
Supposedly it's in Android 12, but I don't know if Android 12 is on any device running Kodi, or whether Kodi implements it yet.

It wasn't clear to me whether it was just seamless switching (a new HDMI standard function that avoids re-syncing over HDMI every format change - and the accompanying black screen?) that was being added to Android 12 - or whether both seamless and non-seamless switching were being added.  Clearly nVidia and other platforms support non-seamless switching already - though I've not seen if this is via a standard Android API or is platform specific (Kodi switches on them correctly already).

What you want to avoid is OS-level automatic switching (as Roku tried) and instead need App-controlled switching (as tvOS uses on Apple TV), as there are times when if your display doesn't support invisible and seamless refresh rate switching, you wouldn't want it to resync.  Best example of this (and why Roku disabled it for Netflix) is the Netflix UI that autoplays a trailer as you scroll through shows and movies.  If that triggers an automatic content resync every time you scroll from a 24p to a 25p show (say from Lost In Space to The Crown) that gets boring very quickly.

The downside of API-signalled switching is, of course, that apps have to be rewritten to support it (and this may mean DRM streamers need metadata with their titles to tell the app what frame rate each title is to trigger the signalling)...

What is curious about Sony Android TVs is that HbbTV stuff (the app framework used for "apps" sent alongside OTA and satellite TV in Europe by broadcasters) works fine at 50Hz - BBC iPlayer via the Connected Red Button HbbTV stuff ISN'T displayed at a 60Hz...
(2022-07-24, 10:47)noggin Wrote: What you want to avoid is OS-level automatic switching (as Roku tried) and instead need App-controlled switching (as tvOS uses on Apple TV), as there are times when if your display doesn't support invisible and seamless refresh rate switching, you wouldn't want it to resync.  Best example of this (and why Roku disabled it for Netflix) is the Netflix UI that autoplays a trailer as you scroll through shows and movies.  If that triggers an automatic content resync every time you scroll from a 24p to a 25p show (say from Lost In Space to The Crown) that gets boring very quickly.
That sounds a lot like the Windows Media Center 29/59 issue. Various TV content would flip between 29 and 59 Hz, sometimes very rapidly, and depending on the video card and TV, this could cause everything from severe judder to flickering to multi-second screen blanking. Nobody wants that again. lol
(2022-07-24, 21:21)crawfish Wrote:
(2022-07-24, 10:47)noggin Wrote: What you want to avoid is OS-level automatic switching (as Roku tried) and instead need App-controlled switching (as tvOS uses on Apple TV), as there are times when if your display doesn't support invisible and seamless refresh rate switching, you wouldn't want it to resync.  Best example of this (and why Roku disabled it for Netflix) is the Netflix UI that autoplays a trailer as you scroll through shows and movies.  If that triggers an automatic content resync every time you scroll from a 24p to a 25p show (say from Lost In Space to The Crown) that gets boring very quickly.
That sounds a lot like the Windows Media Center 29/59 issue. Various TV content would flip between 29 and 59 Hz, sometimes very rapidly, and depending on the video card and TV, this could cause everything from severe judder to flickering to multi-second screen blanking. Nobody wants that again. lol

Similarly annoying but different. I think the WMC issue was caused by some MPEG2 decoders and renderers getting confused by some broadcaster MPEG2 encoding techniques.
(2022-07-19, 03:52)JamesX Wrote:
(2022-07-19, 03:08)crawfish Wrote: I haven't once considered going back to Windows.

Well, good for you. I for one I`m not here to convince anybody of using anything, really. I just feel important to say that Kodi on Android sucks (for my use cases anyway) in comparison with PC, which is kind the topic. If you use the native TV player, then you obviously won`t have any of the Kodi on Android downsides. How is the playback of Bluray ISO with menus on the native player? Does it have customized, auto downloaded subtitles? Does it play SACD ISOs?

The wifi problem (as I see it) isn`t throughput but lag. I have a 2400Mb connection on wifi 6 which in fact has better throughput than my wired LAN... but I feel that responsiveness isn`t on the same league unfortunately.

I use Kodi since 16, and have used it on:
- Libreelec on Raspberry Pi2 and Pi3
- Coreelec on Odroid-C2
- Libreelec on Intel i3 7th gen
- Coreelec on Amlogic S912
- Coreelec on Amlogic S922
- Seen what Kodi was like on a Shield 2019 on a friend (big meh)
- I use a Fire TV Box 2nd gen for light Kodi from time to time. It`s disgusting. It is great for streaming thou.
- Now I`m back to Kodi on PC with AMD Ryzen 5600g.

Maybe in the future I will go the MadVR route and mess with shaders and stuff. I'm just not ready or willing yet.

So... I may have few posts on this forum, but really I have a ton of Kodi experience also (I wish I had less... really).

On PC Kodi 19 nowadays I don`t mess with shaders AT ALL. The HDR (along with automatic switching) simply works without having to configure anything. I know it sounds surreal, but it`s true. I guess maybe you just gave up too soon. Rumor has it that on 20 things will be even better. Fingers crossed.

Please i need your help.
I have this redmibook 4500u.
https://m.gearbest.com/ultrabooks/pp_300...13107.html

I couldn't get HDR working on it. I have certified hdmi cable and Samsung qn90a and sony X930E. Both supports hdr in nvidia shield but not in this laptop. I tried madvr passthrough still not getting HDR.

Do these cpu support it? Any thoughts
(2022-09-01, 18:59)Ahmadss Wrote: Do these cpu support it? Any thoughts
Well, I guess it should... as I got it working on a 3200g and a 5600g. As I understand it they all got Vegas as GPUs (6 and 8) so capability should be more or less the same.

I  just installed the Catalyst drivers from AMD, and run the official X64 Kodi Build (not some fancy/alternative supposedly HDR specific version) and it simply worked.

I didn't even mess with any Windows configurations whatsoever, and don't have MadVR installed either.

Edit: I think I know why it isn't working for you. In the specs:
  • Graphics card and video output
    AMD Radeon Graphics integrated graphics
    HDMI1.4: 1080p Pixel (up to 144Hz), 4K pixel (up to 30Hz)

HDMI 1.4 doesn't support HDR... so you are limited by the port used even if the GPU supports it. It happens too with 3200g and 5600g if you don't use a HDMI 2.0 compatible motherboard.
(2022-09-01, 19:14)JamesX Wrote:
(2022-09-01, 18:59)Ahmadss Wrote: Do these cpu support it? Any thoughts
Well, I guess it should... as I got it working on a 3200g and a 5600g. As I understand it they all got Vegas as GPUs (6 and 8) so capability should be more or less the same.

I  just installed the Catalyst drivers from AMD, and run the official X64 Kodi Build (not some fancy/alternative supposedly HDR specific version) and it simply worked.

I didn't even mess with any Windows configurations whatsoever, and don't have MadVR installed either.

Edit: I think I know why it isn't working for you. In the specs:
  • Graphics card and video output
    AMD Radeon Graphics integrated graphics
    HDMI1.4: 1080p Pixel (up to 144Hz), 4K pixel (up to 30Hz)

HDMI 1.4 doesn't support HDR... so you are limited by the port used even if the GPU supports it. It happens too with 3200g and 5600g if you don't use a HDMI 2.0 compatible motherboard.

Oh shit, this is like a gameover for this notebook with HDR. Sad((

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android vs Windows on the ultimate Kodi hardware0