Bluray disc subtitles - none forced/default?
I've managed to get all my Bluray discs to play in Kodi using MakeMkv for the bluray decryption and I was wondering why Kodi does not detect any forced/default subtitles?

I've been watching stuff which very definetly has forced subtitles and once enabled they are clearly the built in pgs subtitles with the specific disc font but kodi wont enable them by default because the flag doesnt appear to be indicated.

Is this just something about bluray I'll have to live with? Without going through the disc menu they are just subtitles?
I've been wondering if there is some other way I can determine if the subtitles are forced subtitles or not.

But im not having much luck.

And just to clarify, im not extracting anything from discs. I'm referring to kodi playing commercial bluray discs, straight out the cellophane, with makemkv libraries in place of libaacs and libbdplus and used to decrypt for playback but nothing else.
Before anyone starts telling me that i must not have set the flags correctly myself or its something about the source that im using, it isnt.
Are the blurays played with the correct bluray menu, or with Kodi's simplified menu?
As I see it, the subtitles are only selected correctly with the disc menu by default. That means that audio and forced subtitles are correctly selected by the disc menu itself and are loaded that way.

If you watch your movies by launching .mpls files directly, which is what the simplified Kodi menu does, then you have to select your audio streams and subtitles yourself.

The default selection of audio/subtitle streams also depends a lot on the bluray itself. Depending on how complex the authoring was implemented, Kodi can also have problems. However, this is quite rare and occurs in my case only with a few blurays.

It is also relevant to your Kodi environment. So make sure your dependencies are up to date and compatible with your Kodi version. Here the libbluray is very important and should be up to date. This avoids most bugs or problems in general when watching blurays with menu.
Yeah I kind of figured that was the case.
Unfortunately the version of Kodi I am on (osmc) has issues with Blu-ray menus and it's unlikely to be supported
I'm pretty sure it's java VM related?

That also impacted Blu-ray decryption which I was only able to get working with bdblus discs recently with updates to makemkv for Linux.

So these discs which wouldn't have worked before are now returning unknown for subtitles because Kodi doesn't know how they are setup. Due to the simple menu playback method and makemkv doing whatever it does and not using the menu?

Can this information be interpreted from the disc? Do you have any idea how ripping software gets the correct subtitles/audio?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bluray disc subtitles - none forced/default?0