Solved Movies do not play via new external HDD
Neocortex,

I tried changing the drive name to the string of numbers as suggested but it didnt work. For the life of me i have spent hours through the night and into today trying to figure this out and have appreciated all the help from everyone but I cannot even get to the kodi files to delete them and start from scratch. I appreciate being told what to do but then the help falls short of telling me how to do it and it is most likely my bad.
I have just formatted the new drive and plugged it back into the Shield and added it and the Shield formatted the drive and i'm sure it used Linux because then windows wouldnt recognize the drive and I had to partition and format the drive for windows to see so that I could add the movie files back. I am sorry to say that without step by step help I am lost in this and do appologize.

Regards,
Doug.
In that case, your best bet is to clear the library and re-add everything.  I would do it this way:
 - Hook up the old drive (and make sure the files play as they should).
 - Go to Settings->Media in Kodi and export your video library.  Be sure to select "separate files" and to export artwork as well.  That will drop .nfo files and art for every movie onto the drive
 - Remove the old drive
 - Go to video sources and remove your movie folder from sources and choose to remove items from your library.  That will wipe out your movie library in Kodi
 - Plug in the new drive with everything copied onto it from the old drive
 - Add the drive as a new video source for movies and have it scan everything to the library.  That will add everything back and use the nfo files and art for each one, so it should be added back just as it was for the old drive
 - That should do it

Just a heads-up, without touching your advancedsettings.xml, by default, this will wipe your watched status for the movies (I think).  There's a flag you can set in advancedsettings that will keep the watched setting on import.  If that's not important to you, just disregard entirely.
Neocortex,

thank you. I will definately follow those perfect instructions this evening and get back with you. Thank you again.

Regards,
Doug.
Neocortex,

you can't imagine how I looked and looked on YouTube for Instructions like yours, they worked like a charm. I thank you and everyone for hanging in there because I know how annoying it can get when someone like myself keeps on and on because the Instructions simply aren't there and just telling someone to simply export, import, delete, copt etc simply doesn't cut it, and I own a door installation company and it would be like me telling a plummer or painter "Just Install the door" lol
Anyway, I now have a brand new drive installed and can keep adding hundreds of movies as I get them and i wont keep getting questions from the wife like "why arent my movies coming up" lol  yes, you know.

Thank you and all helpers for the last few days.

Regards,
Doug.
Karellen,

I also wanted to come back and name you for all your help. Thank you again, you were also a great help.

Regards,
Doug.
Great, I'm glad it's working now.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies do not play via new external HDD0