Launching the YouTube Add-on via a remote hotkey.
(I'm currently using the Alpha 3 version of v20 Nexus)

I have a Chromecast with Google TV. I'd like to remap the YouTube key on the remote to launch the Kodi add-on for YouTube. I've been hearing things about Keymap Editor, but:

a) it doesn't recognise the YouTube key at all.
b) it only functions when Kodi is opened anyway.

Looking at the activities v20 can spawn hasn't really gotten anything helpful done either, as there doesn't appear to be an activity for launching an Add-on directly.

If someone can provide me an Android intent or activity to help with this, or has pointers on where to look for this myself, feel free to reply to this thread.

(To be clear, I know how to map a button, but I don't know how to map a button to the YouTube [or any other] add-on[s].)
Leaving aside the action within Kodi for the moment, you will most likely find that the key is perhaps handled only within the Chromecast hardware and is not passed on to Kodi at all.

Simple way to check that is to enable debug logging, restart Kodi and then press the key a few times. If it is passed to Kodi, it will appear in the debug log (wiki). All keypresses that Kodi receives are recorded in the log when debug logging is enabled.

If Kodi doesn't see the key, then it can't do anything with it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Alright, let me check.
It seems to find a "keyboard key" 0x17. Let me try mapping it in Android to keep Kodi as the main window and then I'll try to see if Keymap Editor will notice it.
No luck. Was able to create a YouTube tab using Skin Shortcuts instead.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching the YouTube Add-on via a remote hotkey.0